GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   hyacinth bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/91479-hyacinth-bulbs.html)

sst28 26-03-2005 09:56 PM

hyacinth bulbs

Need some advise on what to do with my hyacinth bulbs. They have been forced
to flower in the winter, and now the plant is wilting in a pot on my
windowsill. What do I do with them? And can I expect them to flower again
next year? Thanks!!

SS

Mike Lyle 26-03-2005 10:58 PM

w.g.s.hamm wrote:
"sst28" wrote in message
Need some advise on what to do with my hyacinth bulbs. They have
been forced to flower in the winter, and now the plant is wilting

in
a pot on my windowsill. What do I do with them? And can I expect
them to flower again next year? Thanks!!

SS

plant them outside.

Quite so. They'll be happy enough, but don't expect them ever to
flower as generously outdoors as they did that first time in their
pots. If you haven't got the space, there's nothing immoral about
just chucking them out (I speak as one who can't ever actually _do_
that!).

--
Mike.

Kay 27-03-2005 11:05 AM

In article , sst28
writes
Need some advise on what to do with my hyacinth bulbs. They have been forced
to flower in the winter, and now the plant is wilting in a pot on my
windowsill. What do I do with them? And can I expect them to flower again
next year? Thanks!!

You can expect them to flower again next year, but not as you imagine a
hyacinth flower - you'll get a flower spike with very few flowers,
rather like a tough bluebell.

While leaves are still green, it's worth fertilising to build up the
bulb. Then, when the leaves have died down, plant the bulb in a less
formal part of your garden, where it will come up year after year and
flower just a bit later then the daffodils.
--
Kay