Old 17-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Jill

Default nurserys / gardens near Bristol to visit

Hi
I am going to visit a friend in mid February
a real treat - first holiday for 8 years
and she was wondering where I might want to go
Are there any really great nurseries large or small or gardens to go to
around there that anyone could recommend?

thanks

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk
http://www.kintaline.co.uk/cottage

Old 17-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Emrys Davies

'Jill',

Bristol Zoo Gardens http://www.bristolzoo.org.uk/ would appear to be
ideal. In addition to the zoo there are apparently ten acres of
interesting gardens.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 17-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article E_TV9.13889$4k6.1234345@wards, Jill news@REMOVETHISkintali
ne.plus.com writes
Hi
I am going to visit a friend in mid February
a real treat - first holiday for 8 years
and she was wondering where I might want to go
Are there any really great nurseries large or small or gardens to go to
around there that anyone could recommend?

There's Botanic Gardens in both Bristol and Bath. I don't know them
myself, so I can't say whether they'd be worth a look in February. If
you're up for long drives, there's the Eden Project in Cornwall, and the
Welsh National Botanical Garden over beyond Carmarthen. Again, I don't
Old 17-01-2003, 09:24 PM
JennyC

"Jill" wrote in message
Hi
I am going to visit a friend in mid February
a real treat - first holiday for 8 years
and she was wondering where I might want to go
Are there any really great nurseries large or small or gardens to go

around there that anyone could recommend?

thanks
Jill Bowis

The following site has a list of garden centres that might be worth
looking at ;
http://www.topgardencentresuk.com/GC...oryBRISTOL.htm

And in case the weather is not conducive ............
http://visitbristol.britishpubguide....gi?beer:Smiles :~))

Jenny

Old 18-01-2003, 11:32 AM
sacha

in article , Jill at
wrote on 17/1/03 7:18 pm:

"sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
in article E_TV9.13889$4k6.1234345@wards, Jill at
wrote on 17/1/03 2:00 pm:

Hi
I am going to visit a friend in mid February
a real treat - first holiday for 8 years
and she was wondering where I might want to go
Are there any really great nurseries large or small or gardens to go to
around there that anyone could recommend?

thanks

Well, we're about 2 hours away..... ;-))

now that is just cruel !!
I would adore to come and see your place
but with a newish kid at my friends and a short amount of time
it is an indulgence too far
sorry
I promise that I will sometime
How about doing a Google search and/or ringing any information or tourism
bureau in Bristol? There might not be too much in gardens in February but
nurseries with good glasshouses could be v. interesting for you.

yup will do
but sometimes the smaller nurseries or gardens are not online so
recommendations are the best
I understnad its not the best time of year
and as I am flying I can't stuff a car :~((

We'll look forward to next time, then. ;-) I see someone has suggested the
Eden Project to you and if you do manage to get down in this direction,
that's about an hour from here and of course, Rosemoor is this way, too
plus lots of good Devon & Cornwall gardens to see. I just thought I'd help
you plan your next visit. ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Jill

"sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
in article , Jill at

wrote on 17/1/03 2:00 pm:

[...]

and heligan and and and

easy on me
its the first time I will have been away from the farm other than work
for 8 or so years
sort of really wish friend lived that bit closer to you tho little grin
may be I will get the taste of leaving them all to it big evil grin

Old 18-01-2003, 05:00 PM
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

The following site has a list of garden centres that might be worth
looking at ;
http://www.topgardencentresuk.com/GC...oryBRISTOL.htm

from that url I would go for :-

Riverside ... no garden but good collection of plants
Park ... sort of garden to display plants plus indoor and outdoor 'shops'
Brackenwood ... have not been to that part of it for years, have heard it
is interesting ...

Another one is Cadbury nursery at Congresbury, commercial but good
selection of plants and some planting to display them.

If you are out Cheddar way then go up - or - down Burrington Coombe
and drop into the garden centre, by the pub, at the bottom, was called
Burrington Coombe Garden Centre, can't remember it' new name.

Looking in last years 'Yellow Book' there is a garden open for Snowdrops
in the Central and North Gloucestershire area but probably too far.
() I could not get that to load. So did a google
search for Cinderdine and it came up with several references which did
open and there are open days in February 2003.

Shame that Hill House is too far, I was going to suggest it as the best
bet at this time of the year, well any time of the year, and an easy journey
from Bristol.

Bristol Zoo is a good - not sure how much would be in the gardens
ATM. The entrance fee is not cheap unless one is a pensioner and goes
on a Friday!

Sorry I don't know the Bath ones.
Jennifer

Old 18-01-2003, 06:36 PM
sacha

in article , Jennifer Sparkes at
wrote on 18/1/03 5:00 pm:

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

The following site has a list of garden centres that might be worth
looking at ;
http://www.topgardencentresuk.com/GC...oryBRISTOL.htm

from that url I would go for :-

Riverside ... no garden but good collection of plants
Park ... sort of garden to display plants plus indoor and outdoor 'shops'
Brackenwood ... have not been to that part of it for years, have heard it
is interesting ...

Another one is Cadbury nursery at Congresbury, commercial but good
selection of plants and some planting to display them.

Oooooh, Jennifer, you temptress, you! We're going to my Godson's wedding
there next Sunday and now they're going to have to come and find us.....
;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-01-2003, 10:24 PM
Eur Ing John Rye

Hello

I do not know what is going on, but I have just received my first news item
in this thread, to which a number of people have contributed.

I am not even sure who is going to Bristol, but as a person raised in Bristol
although I left there many years ago, can I make a few comments.

One of the strengths of Bristol is the number of Parks in and around the
city. If you like walking in parkland these are nice at any time of the year.
I particularly like Vasaals Park at Fishponds which adjoins the River Frome
which you can follow downstream to Eastville Park. Both of these contain a
mixture of Parkland with collections of shrubs in place and in Summer some
formal beds.

The gardens of Bristol Zoo are generally very good.

The Victoria Gardens at Bath are interesting and quite close to the historic
centre of the city.

There are two Gardens Centres that I like near Bristol. The one at
Almondsbury just north of the city, and the Cadbury Garden Centre which is
enormous at Congesbury on the road from Bristol to Weston super Mare.

I hope this helps

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England
Old 18-01-2003, 11:11 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:00:52 -0000, "Jill"
wrote:

I am going to visit a friend in mid February
a real treat - first holiday for 8 years
and she was wondering where I might want to go
Are there any really great nurseries large or small or gardens to go to
around there that anyone could recommend?

Do you like trees? If so go to Westonbirt Arboretum North of Bristol.
Do you like secluded nurseries? Try Derry Watkins "Special Plants" on
the way from Bristol to Westonbirt on the A420. But check her web
site first to check when / if she's open.

Cheers
Pam

Bristol
Old 20-01-2003, 10:28 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Eur Ing John Rye" wrote in message
Hello

I do not know what is going on, but I have just received my One of the

[...]

Bristol Botanic is very good and try looking up the yellow book gardens
(there are a number near the airport), none will probebly open in Feb but
many will be happy to show you around and there is a good chance of getting
to see something none of the summer visitors will!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Clifton's Green Squares and Secret Gardens (Clifton Bristol) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 07-08-2014 06:07 PM
Recommendations for topsoil supplier in/near Bristol? Phil United Kingdom 27 16-05-2010 04:02 PM
[IBC] Bonsai nurserys Geoff Hobson Bonsai 0 23-11-2003 11:22 PM
Bonsai nurserys Mike Bonsai 0 22-11-2003 04:42 PM
Oldland Horticultural Show, Bristol. scrumps-uk United Kingdom 0 09-11-2002 03:07 PM