Old 17-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Bananas, should we be worried?

With the news that our eating bananas (Cavendish strain) are under real
threat in various ways, see

http://news.bbc.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2664373.stm

should we be worried about the continued health of our ornamental varieties
or are they resistant to blight etc ?
Don't want to lose our Musa lasiocarpa just yet.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 17-01-2003, 03:55 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , "Sue & Bob Hobden" writes:
| With the news that our eating bananas (Cavendish strain) are under real
| threat in various ways, see
|
| http://news.bbc.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2664373.stm
|
| should we be worried about the continued health of our ornamental varieties
| or are they resistant to blight etc ?
| Don't want to lose our Musa lasiocarpa just yet.

More to the point, the fungal diseases mentioned are probably only
serious threats under tropical conditions and high planting densities.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 17-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from "Sue & Bob Hobden" contains these words:

With the news that our eating bananas (Cavendish strain) are under real
threat in various ways, see

http://news.bbc.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2664373.stm

should we be worried about the continued health of our ornamental varieties
or are they resistant to blight etc ?
Don't want to lose our Musa lasiocarpa just yet.

Copied from uk.food+drink where this quote from the New Scientist
was posted:-

The New Scientist article, which I have now read, is not at all
frightening.

It says:
"The present banana clones were found 10,000 years ago and have not changed
since then. The wild, inedible, relative of the domesticated banana is
doing just fine.
We have a problem with lack of genetic diversity in the banana, there are
fungal diseases which could wipe out the present *single* clone produced
commercially.
There is too much fungicide used on present crops, to keep the diseases at
bay.
Work is required to breed new clones, resistant to these fungi.
Nobody, commercially, likes the first new clone which have been produced.
We changed clone in the 1960s because of a similar problem. I did not
notice any change in bananas in the 1960s."

Jennifer

Old 18-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Drakanthus

The New Scientist article, which I have now read, is not at all
frightening.

It says:
We have a problem with lack of genetic diversity in the banana, there are
fungal diseases which could wipe out the present *single* clone produced
commercially.

Jennifer

Perhaps the solution it to genetically engineer some diversity into the
banana ;-)
I say that jokingly, but I guess it is probably being considered seriously
by the producers.
--
Drakanthus.

( Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the
subject line or emails will never reach me.)

Old 18-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
The New Scientist article, which I have now read, is not at all
frightening.

It says:
We have a problem with lack of genetic diversity in the banana, there

are
fungal diseases which could wipe out the present *single* clone produced
commercially.

Jennifer

Perhaps the solution it to genetically engineer some diversity into the
banana ;-)
I say that jokingly, but I guess it is probably being considered seriously
by the producers.
--

From what I've read it's more than being considered, however the scientists
are worried about consumer acceptance.

Old 18-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Jennifer wrote in message
[...]

What I'm worried about is if the Cavendish Banana, throughout the world, is
being overrun by this fungus, and other things, won't it be a pool for
infection of other varieties. A global breeding ground for diseases of Musa.
Fungal spores are airborne too, so with the acreage under cultivation
nowhere will be completely safe.

A bit like the problems now encountered by us outdoor Tomato growers with
Potato Blight.

Old 18-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Sue & Bob Hobden" contains these words:

What I'm worried about is if the Cavendish Banana, throughout the world, is
being overrun by this fungus, and other things, won't it be a pool for
infection of other varieties. A global breeding ground for diseases of Musa.
Fungal spores are airborne too, so with the acreage under cultivation
nowhere will be completely safe.

A bit like the problems now encountered by us outdoor Tomato growers with
Potato Blight.

Not really, because potatoes and tomatoes are both grown all over the
UK; unlike Cavendish bananas. Its unlikely that airborne tropical fungal
spores from commercial banana acreage in the tropics, will reach here;
or survive.

Janet
Old 18-01-2003, 08:29 PM

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote:

should we be worried about the continued health of our ornamental varieties
or are they resistant to blight etc ?

Its not a major problem in temperate regions - persistently high
temperatures (above 30C for much the time) plus high humidity
encourage the disease.

Don't want to lose our Musa lasiocarpa just yet.

I'm not aware that the disease attacks it. Musella appears to be
remarkably resistant to many viruses and fugal diseases that affect
Musa proper. I don't see this as being a problem with ornamental
bananas being grown in this country, but it could be a major
economical disaster in countries where culinary bananas are a major
source of revenue.
Dave Poole
TORQUAY UK
Old 18-01-2003, 09:28 PM
Howard Neil

From what I've read it's more than being considered, however the
scientists
are worried about consumer acceptance.

--
Bob

I've seen a lot of pro GM news items in the last week or so.

Could this be the companies involved in the GM process trying to gain some
positive publicity?

Howard Neil

Old 20-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Janet wrote in message :

Not really, because potatoes and tomatoes are both grown all over the
UK; unlike Cavendish bananas. Its unlikely that airborne tropical fungal
spores from commercial banana acreage in the tropics, will reach here;
or survive.

Ah, but what about the tons of Banana skins thrown away daily in this
country, is that not a potential point of entry? Are they fumigated against
fungi spores before entry here?
We compost our skins, hot humid conditions in our heap!

Old 20-01-2003, 11:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

"Janet wrote in message :

Not really, because potatoes and tomatoes are both grown all over the
UK; unlike Cavendish bananas. Its unlikely that airborne tropical fungal
spores from commercial banana acreage in the tropics, will reach here;
or survive.

Ah, but what about the tons of Banana skins thrown away daily in this
country, is that not a potential point of entry? Are they fumigated against
fungi spores before entry here?
We compost our skins, hot humid conditions in our heap!

Relatively few parasitic fungi will grow on dead material, so such
fungi will probably not survive composting.

Also, unless you keep your bananas in a hot, humid glasshouse, it is
unlikely that they will suffer from tropical fungi even if they get
exposed.

Old 21-01-2003, 12:04 AM
andrew jones

Dear Sue and Bob,
you should be alright with that plant, its supposed to be in a different
genus, musella. These dangerous fungi would have a struggle with our
climate.
Andy

Old 24-01-2003, 01:52 PM
Annabel

Its unlikely that airborne tropical fungal
spores from commercial banana acreage in the tropics, will reach here;
or survive.

Janet

If you look at global air currents you will see that warm equatorial air
rises and goes north and south towards the poles. It is indeed likely
for tropical fungal spores to reach here, but as said wouldn't survive
etc.

Art