Old 17-01-2003, 04:52 PM
TheScullster

Default Hedge Alternatives

Yes this is a re-post, but I guess the title of the last message didn't make
it.

I have been getting local tree surgeons to quote for removal of a number of
Blue Lawcon (spelling?) cyprus trees which have been "let go" by the
previous house owner.

A row of 18 is coming out which I want to replace with something hedge-like.
The hedge forms a boundary with the pavement, running in front and to the
side of the house.
One reason for removing these is the proximity to the house - to the side,
the trees are approx 5 feet from the brick work.

Replacements would have the following requirements:

Be OK in East Yorkshire, close to hill top therefore quite exposed.
Achieve 5-6ft height for privacy.
Have non-invasive root system and not drag all water from surroundings (not
pose subsidence threat).
Have fairly dense foliage for privacy.
Not take too long to achieve 3-4 ft (to define the boundary again)
Preferably not lose all foliage in winter (and loss of privacy)
Not require regular attention water/feed once established, except trimming.
Preferably self supporting in the long term
Be resistant to passing pedestrian and animal traffic (and the attentions of
the latter)

We have used Lleylandi in the past, but would like to try something
different and less controversial.
Would be interested in using 2 or 3 different species for more character
rather than just a block hedge.

Any comments, suggestions or further questions for clarification
appreciated.
Would be pleased if links could be given to photos of recommended plants.

TIA

Phil

Old 17-01-2003, 06:45 PM
PaulK

"TheScullster" wrote in message

Any comments, suggestions or further questions for clarification
appreciated.
Would be pleased if links could be given to photos of recommended plants.

I still think Yew is the beat hedging plant. It's reputation for slow growth
is unjustified - trench of manure below it and put a leaky hose along the
length for the first couple of years and it will romp away.

You don't indicate budget or if you will be doing it yourself. I'm putting a
yew hedge in for a client next week: Rootablled plants, 90/105cm tall. at 60
cm centres, £17 per plant ex trade nursery. ie a fraction of garden centre
prices and an instant hedge.

I put an instant 2m hedge in a while ago, £60 per plant.

A general tip on things like this - Trade nurseries will give you very short
shrift if you turn up and ask for one each of half a dozen things, but if
you turn up with a bulging wallet and want trade quantities of things they
will not turn you away.

pk

Old 18-01-2003, 12:31 AM
Emrys Davies

http://www.hgc.ie/plants/hedging.asp

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 18-01-2003, 01:08 AM
Annabel

[...]

Be wildlife friendly and use native trees/shrubs, have beech and a good
scattering of evergreens.

Bell

Old 18-01-2003, 10:08 AM
Drakanthus

Any comments, suggestions or further questions for clarification
appreciated.
Would be pleased if links could be given to photos of recommended plants.

TIA

Phil

Our house used to have Leylandii when we bought the property, and we simply
cut them down to 5 feet and cut off all the side branches leaving instant
fence posts! Against the posts I fixed some mesh (too keep our dogs in) and
planted a mix of pyracanthus and hawthorn. Both are spiky and a deterrent to
unwanted visitors (burglars). The pyracanthus is evergreen so gives year
round screening. Both are good for birds to nest in. The pyracanthus comes
in over 10 varieties and I picked a few of each - this results in a riot of
different coloured berries - red, yellow, gold, orange and shades between.
Both pyracanthus and hawthorn grow fairly quickly and can be trimmed to keep
a nice looking 5-6ft high hedge.
To save money I planted the original pyracanthus wide apart and took
cuttings from each and have now planted them in the hedgerow too to thicken
it up.
It is all starting to form a good hedge which meet my requirements. I'd
certainly recommend pyracanthus. I bought the plants from a local nursery
for £3.95 each.
--
Drakanthus.

( Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the
subject line or emails will never reach me.)

Old 21-01-2003, 08:36 AM
TheScullster

Thanks to all.
Does anyone know a good site for viewing images of your suggestions?

TIA

Phil