Old 18-01-2003, 01:19 PM
Glenda Young

Default Pruning roses

Is it ok to prune roses when they've started coming into bud? I was
waiting for the last frost to be over before I pruned the rose bushes
but noticed today that they're starting to get new buds on them
already.

Old 18-01-2003, 01:34 PM
Rod

"Glenda Young" wrote in message
Is it ok to prune roses when they've started coming into bud? I was
waiting for the last frost to be over before I pruned the rose bushes
but noticed today that they're starting to get new buds on them
already.

Yes but don't leave it too late. For most of the UK anytime from late
November to late March is fine. For areas with hard winters you may prefer
to do it in March, for mild areas autumn pruning is fine as we do here in
North Wales and get very slightly earlier flowers as a result.

Rod

Old 20-01-2003, 11:52 PM
tedson

"Glenda Young" wrote in message
Is it ok to prune roses when they've started coming into bud? I was
waiting for the last frost to be over before I pruned the rose bushes
but noticed today that they're starting to get new buds on them
already.

Cut the roses to a length that the winter winds will not cause the plant to
rock to and fro and disturb the roots, this should be done in the autumn,
but better late than never. Then in the spring you can prune the roses for
the summer, but remember to feed after pruning,

Roberto