Old 01-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Default Chinese Gooseberry and cats

My father planted the above a couple of years ago (and it's already reached
the roof!) to replace a Garrya (sp?). My mother and I both think it's
hideous (its stems are covered with horrid red hairs) and it looks like
something out of a John Wyndham novel. Anyway, Samson (our 12-year-old black
and white well, blob, there's no other word for it) absolutely adores it. It
has a similar effect to catnip, but he's hyper before he's chilled. Whilst
I've read that cats are attracted to it (he's never shown any interest in
the catnip) I've never found any information on the toxicity - is it
dangerous if consumed in quantity? I don't want to stop him playing with it
(it takes a decade off him in seconds!) but I wouldn't want to think he was
slowly being poisoned.

Anything to stop it from growing so fast? It really is the proverbial Mile a
Minute plant - you open the windows in the summer and it's coming in the
house - Mum's terrified she's going to be strangled in the bath!

Anyone have any info?

Thanks

Sarah