Old 01-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Registered User

Question Newbie Question: Planting out Echinops

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the board. I live in the South East (London suburbs) and have a very enclosed patio and front garden (my Crassula stays out there during the winter and survives!). I don't have a greenhouse however.

In the past few weeks, I've tried sowing seed for the first time - and now have lots of seed trays in my tiny flat. All is going (fairly) well - except I'm running out of space!

My Globe Thistles seem to be doing well - thay all have two 'real' leaves. But I've lost the packet with the instructions. Does anyone know when I can plant them out? From recall - I think it's April. I've given them some little outings onto the patio when it's been warm - and they seem OK. They're taking up quite a lot of room! (I am thinking of investing in a small cold frame)

Also - I've had mildew on the soil of the lobelia and salvia seedlings. I repotted them today and sprayed with fungicide. Does anyone have any tips on keeping this yucky stuff away?!!

Many thanks

Zoe
Old 01-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
ZoeM wrote:

I'm new to the board. I live in the South East (London suburbs) and
have a very enclosed patio and front garden (my Crassula stays out
there during the winter and survives!). I don't have a greenhouse
however.

In the past few weeks, I've tried sowing seed for the first time - and
now have lots of seed trays in my tiny flat. All is going (fairly)
well - except I'm running out of space!

I have a larger house, and much the same happens. Seeds expand to
overfill the space available.

My Globe Thistles seem to be doing well - thay all have two 'real'
leaves. But I've lost the packet with the instructions. Does anyone
know when I can plant them out? From recall - I think it's April.
I've given them some little outings onto the patio when it's been warm
- and they seem OK. They're taking up quite a lot of room! (I am
thinking of investing in a small cold frame)

That would be fine. They won't take a serious frost when small, and
you really, but really, don't need more than one in a normal sized
garden. However, you can plant several close together and establish
a clump faster.

Also - I've had mildew on the soil of the lobelia and salvia seedlings.
I repotted them today and sprayed with fungicide. Does anyone have any
tips on keeping this yucky stuff away?!!

Don't let them stay so damp. Once they (especially salvia) have a
root system, they should have drier conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Registered User

Smile

Hi Nick

A belated thanks for your reply - I have ordered a cold frame and will be transferring the thistles (And hopefully some of the others).

Thanks again,

Zoe

Echinops ritro e+d Garden Photos 0 23-08-2008 08:31 AM
July 22 - Echinops Again_5835.jpg John - Pa. Garden Photos 1 22-07-2007 11:41 PM
Follow up to Echinops query louisxiv United Kingdom 5 09-08-2006 11:32 AM
Source of seeds for Echinops bannaticus 'Taplow Blue' [email protected] United Kingdom 1 26-07-2006 12:13 AM
Echinops (Globe Thistle) Mark B United Kingdom 4 07-09-2003 08:32 PM