Old 02-04-2005, 03:07 PM
ken cohen

Default sprouting grass seed before sowing

I read somewhere that it's best to soak and rinse grass seed over a
period of days (I forget how long for), the idea being that you get
the seed to sprout a bit before you sow, and this apparently keeps the
birds off it, and promotes rapid rooting and growth.

Anyone tried this?

Ken Cohen
Old 03-04-2005, 12:00 AM
hugh

In message , ken cohen
writes
I read somewhere that it's best to soak and rinse grass seed over a
period of days (I forget how long for), the idea being that you get
the seed to sprout a bit before you sow, and this apparently keeps the
birds off it, and promotes rapid rooting and growth.

Anyone tried this?

Ken Cohen

Yes, it's called pre-germinating but don't soak it. Lay it out in a flat
tray and spray it lightly with water until just damp. Cover and leave
it, spraying just enough to keep it damp, for 2 or 3 days. It will then
start to sprout, taking on a slightly green hue. If you leave it too
long the shoots will begin to intertwine and it will be useless.
--
hugh
Old 03-04-2005, 02:03 AM
Henry

I'll try again. Take a bag of compost with just as much compost in it as
will cover the area you wish to sow. Put grass seed into that bag of
compost and mix thoroughly by hand. Loosely fold shut the bag of compost.
Wait for germination. Sow.

An interesting idea, I will try it. Thankyou

Henry

Old 03-04-2005, 09:28 AM
gray

I read somewhere that it's best to soak and rinse grass seed over a
period of days (I forget how long for), the idea being that you get
the seed to sprout a bit before you sow, and this apparently keeps the
birds off it, and promotes rapid rooting and growth.

Anyone tried this?

Ken Cohen

I tried this few years back, and kept the seed damp until just prior
to the seed sprouting. Damp but not wet, and keep warmish.

The problem then was that as the seed was damp it stuck together, and
you could not sow it. I then mixed it with dry sand, in a plastic bag,
and shook it about gently. This then dried the seed sufficient, for it
to not stick together.

I then broadcast sowed the sand and the seed, into a racked seed bed.

Worked fine but a bit fiddly, good for small areas, but not football
fields.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:14 PM
MM

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 08:28:06 GMT, gray wrote:

[...]

Why the hassle? Grass seed germinates when it is just sown, period. I
have seen it done, and have done it myself, too many times to know how
this works, as if by magic. Seems like some people just have an urge
to make life harder than it really is.

MM
Old 04-04-2005, 07:22 PM
ken cohen

MM wrote in message

Why the hassle? Grass seed germinates when it is just sown, period. I
have seen it done, and have done it myself, too many times to know how
this works, as if by magic. Seems like some people just have an urge
to make life harder than it really is.

I think the attraction of the idea is not having to worry about the
birds. Last year, most of my grass seed definitely disappeared that
way after being sown direct. And netting is a nuisance.

Ken Cohen

why no sprouting on my Purple sprouting? Moonraker United Kingdom 3 05-03-2012 10:53 PM
Sowing new grass seed, roll or don't roll? MM United Kingdom 1 14-04-2005 05:19 PM
Sowing phalaenopsis ; sowing medium question Aaron Hicks Orchids 4 03-11-2004 01:54 AM
Sowing Grass Seed Steve United Kingdom 4 17-10-2003 09:22 AM
sowing some grass seed a United Kingdom 1 12-09-2003 09:42 PM