Old 19-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Colin A Jacobs

Default First Early potatoes

This year I am going to add a layer of Bone Meal to the bottom of my trench,
then a a layer of Manure then a layer of potting compost. Covering the
tubers with potting compost & filling the trench with soil. I will sprinkle
Slug pellets onto the ground. Is this a good way of getting a maximum yield?

Best Wishes

CJ

Old 19-01-2003, 03:08 PM
Dwayne

Good morning. First, I am no expert on potatoes. I have grown them and
been successful. I have never put in a lot of fertalizer so I cant say it
will help.

I do know that manure (depending upon what kind you use) will burn up some
plants when the roots get to it. I also know that if the manure came from
an animal that eats grain, the grain will sprout and come up in your garden.

I also know that your potatoes will rot if they stay wet too long after a
rain. My use of compost has taught me that the compost I used would not let
the water go through and my plants stayed wet.

One way to maximise your yield, is to make a potato cage by taking a roll
of fence that is a meter high, and cut off a piece that is long enough to
make it nearly a meter accross the top when stood up. Roll it into a circle
and set it up. (I used old tires for mine, but they made the potatoes stay
too wet and they rotted.)

Lay one or two seed potatos on the ground and cover them with 15 cm of soil.
As the plant grows out of the soil, add more soil that has been mixed with
potting compost and your slug pellets. Keep doing this until the potato
plant has reached the top th the fence.

I have heard that a person can receive 10 k of potatoes per cage. It would
be worth a try. Good luck. Dwayne

Old 19-01-2003, 04:36 PM
Beachcomber

I usually put them in with well rotted manure and blood fish and bone
fertiliser and like the other chap says you must mix it up a bit to ensure
it's not too strong with the fertiliser by the roots. I've tried the slug
pellets but think it is more in the mind than any real value. I think the
bone meal will be wasted at the bottom of the trench by the way, I put it
around where the potatoes will be set and lightly fork it about. Just wonder
if the potting compost will have lime in which gives potatoes scab. Still I
expect it'll be ok

Colin A Jacobs wrote:
: This year I am going to add a layer of Bone Meal to the bottom of my
: trench, then a a layer of Manure then a layer of potting compost.
: Covering the tubers with potting compost & filling the trench with
: soil. I will sprinkle Slug pellets onto the ground. Is this a good
: way of getting a maximum yield?
:
: Best Wishes
:
: CJ

first early potatoes Fred United Kingdom 6 22-04-2008 12:20 PM
First Early Potatoes jb United Kingdom 5 25-06-2007 05:35 PM
First first early spuds Peter Robinson United Kingdom 12 25-05-2007 08:13 PM
Timperley Early - very early Jonathan Culver United Kingdom 0 24-02-2004 12:58 AM
Timperley Early - very early Jonathan Culver United Kingdom 0 23-02-2004 11:58 PM