Old 20-01-2003, 08:12 PM
HaaRoy

Default Birdwatch survey this weekend

the RSPB are doing a survey of birds found in the gardens
this weekend.
everybody can join in at

www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch

not too many sparrows here but apair of green maccaws are buzzing
around in the park.
they are spreading all along the thames from sunbury, twickenham and
up to putney

Old 20-01-2003, 11:43 PM

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
: the RSPB are doing a survey of birds found in the gardens
: this weekend.
: everybody can join in at
:
: www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch
:
: not too many sparrows here but apair of green maccaws are buzzing
: around in the park.
: they are spreading all along the thames from sunbury, twickenham and
: up to putney

Are you sure they are macaws and not rose ringed parakeets?

Old 21-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , HaaRoy
writes
the RSPB are doing a survey of birds found in the gardens
this weekend.

For those interested in such things there is also the similarly named
Garden Birdwatch run by the BTO (British Trust for Ornithology)

This is an open ended ongoing weekly survey rather than a one off.

http://www.bto.org/gbw/gbwhome.htm
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 21-01-2003, 11:10 AM

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
: In message , HaaRoy
: writes
: the RSPB are doing a survey of birds found in the gardens
: this weekend.
:
: For those interested in such things there is also the similarly named
: Garden Birdwatch run by the BTO (British Trust for Ornithology)
:
: This is an open ended ongoing weekly survey rather than a one off.
:
: http://www.bto.org/gbw/gbwhome.htm
: --
: Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
: urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
: http://www.familyfrench.co.uk/garden/urgfaq/index.html

Yes, I've been participating for about 3 yrs. Results can be submitted on
line now although I haven't tried yet, have you?

I don't know why the RSPB can't use the BTO figures. I am sure they do it
just to get extra donations.

If anybody living in the London area is interested, the London Natural
History Society produces an annual 'London Bird Report' which covers an area
of 20 mile radius from St Paul's cathedral and list all birds that have been
seen that year, together with articles etc. The latest edition is for 1999.

Old 21-01-2003, 01:02 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , K
writes

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
: In message , HaaRoy
: writes
: the RSPB are doing a survey of birds found in the gardens
: this weekend.
:
: For those interested in such things there is also the similarly named
: Garden Birdwatch run by the BTO (British Trust for Ornithology)
:
: This is an open ended ongoing weekly survey rather than a one off.
:

Yes, I've been participating for about 3 yrs. Results can be submitted on
line now although I haven't tried yet, have you?

Actually we don't partake, though I keep meaning to sign up.......

I don't know why the RSPB can't use the BTO figures. I am sure they do it
just to get extra donations.

Partly maybe, but also it's one off events like this that can help give
publicity to the issues around the decline in bird numbers of many
species etc.

Old 21-01-2003, 08:20 PM
HaaRoy

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:43:35 -0000, "K" wrote:

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
.. .
: the RSPB are doing a survey of birds found in the gardens
: this weekend.
: everybody can join in at
:
: www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch
:
: not too many sparrows here but apair of green maccaws are buzzing
: around in the park.
: they are spreading all along the thames from sunbury, twickenham and
: up to putney

Are you sure they are macaws and not rose ringed parakeets?

yes you are right , noisy birds too ,cack cack sound
Old 21-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Mary Fisher

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...

For those interested in such things there is also the similarly named
Garden Birdwatch run by the BTO (British Trust for Ornithology)

This is an open ended ongoing weekly survey rather than a one off.

I'm going to do it as my tribute to Chris Mead, who died a few days ago.

Mary

Old 21-01-2003, 10:33 PM

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
: On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:43:35 -0000, "K" wrote:
:
:
: "HaaRoy" wrote in message
: .. .
: : the RSPB are doing a survey of birds found in the gardens
: : this weekend.
: : everybody can join in at
: :
: : www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch
: :
: : not too many sparrows here but apair of green maccaws are buzzing
: : around in the park.
: : they are spreading all along the thames from sunbury, twickenham and
: : up to putney
:
: Are you sure they are macaws and not rose ringed parakeets?
:
: K
:
: yes you are right , noisy birds too ,cack cack sound

There's a roost of about 4000 at Walton on Thames I believe. Bet it's noisy
there. :O((

Old 22-01-2003, 01:08 PM
flake

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
For those interested in such things there is also the similarly named
Garden Birdwatch run by the BTO (British Trust for Ornithology)

This is an open ended ongoing weekly survey rather than a one off.

I'm going to do it as my tribute to Chris Mead, who died a few days ago.

Mary

Me too Mary, I signed up online last Friday and got my pack this morning.
The online entry form looks very simple and it looks like you can access
your own data to see the picture that builds up for your garden. You can
definitely see the survey results by species for your area or any other
you're interested in. You can also note mammals, insects, amphibians, etc.,
that visit your garden if you want to. I now have an excuse for studying
the garden every day, "doing important research you know" !
Diane

Old 23-01-2003, 02:51 PM
W. D. Watts

"K" wrote in message

: For those interested in such things there is also the similarly named
: Garden Birdwatch run by the BTO (British Trust for Ornithology)
:
: This is an open ended ongoing weekly survey rather than a one off.
:
: http://www.bto.org/gbw/gbwhome.htm
: --
: Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
: urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
: http://www.familyfrench.co.uk/garden/urgfaq/index.html

Yes, I've been participating for about 3 yrs. Results can be submitted on
line now although I haven't tried yet, have you?

Like you I've been participating for a number of years. The on-line facility
is very good. It's easy to enter data and you enter the actual number of
birds recorded rather than within a band (for the common species) or present
or not (for the less common species) as on the OMR cards. When you are
registered for on-line use you can see all the previous records you have
submitted.

Bill Watts

Koi Food Survey zookeeper Ponds 34 17-07-2003 02:31 AM
Koi Food Survey - Catfish food for $10.99 per 50 lb bag. ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 2 13-06-2003 03:32 PM
Free Survey? 1962 haircut Lawns 1 05-05-2003 11:58 PM
lighting survey: 36" bulbs rm-rf Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 07:14 AM
Free Survey? 1962 haircut Lawns 1 17-03-2003 08:32 PM