Old 04-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Mark

Default Lawn Rehabilitation

Hi there,

Basically, our front lawn is a mess. Its been growing for over a year
without being cut and at the weekend i strimmed it and mowed it to get
it into reasonable shape. Of course, its all yellow and horrible now
with some bare patches, i assume due to no light getting to the grass,
and its covered in weeds.

I have devised a plan of action to try and get it back to some kind of
reasonable condition. We are on a clay soil with really bad drainage.
Could someone just let me know if this plan is ok, and of any changes
that i need to make.

Mow grass to reasonable length (done this)
After a few days, add a weed and feed product as per instructions on
the packet.
Wait for weeds to start dying and grass to start greening up and then
mow again.
Rake/scarify lawn to remove dying weeds and any moss.
Dig up any big old weeds (we have some big clumps of a large type of
grass that will probably need digging up i expect)
Improve drainage by forking the lawn all over.
Overseed the lawn and then cover the lawn in a scattering of compost to
cover the seeds.
Wait for seeds to germinate and then grow (hopefully)

I think this should help to bring the lawn back to some kind of
normality.

How long after sowing and germination can i mow again? Is there
anything i need to do between sowing and mowing? (i read that some
people trample the shoots to get them to bush out)

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Mark

Old 04-04-2005, 10:10 PM
pied piper

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

mainly fine but dont dress with compost use soil sand 60/40 dressing ,
compost will cause thatch and root break when u first cut your new grass
use shears or a rotary mower dont use a cylinder and this will rip out the
new grass . Also just feed if you use weed and feed the new grass seed will
not germinate due to the weedkiller in the root zone