GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ground Cover, Front of Hedge (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/91958-ground-cover-front-hedge.html)

Mike 04-04-2005 09:18 PM

Ground Cover, Front of Hedge

Hello,
Can you recommend something to grow (as a ground cover) in front of a long
established hedge ? At present the area is used by birds as a dustbath and
is now full of potholes due to their antics.. The area gets full sun and I
would prefer:

1/ Shallow roots
2/ Easy to control
3/ Doesn't creep too much
4/ Grows to a height of about 6-12 inches
5/ Can endure plastic sheeting and fallen hedge clippings twice a year !

Thanks,

Mike.

Ornata 05-04-2005 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike
Hello,
Can you recommend something to grow (as a ground cover) in front of a long
established hedge ? At present the area is used by birds as a dustbath and
is now full of potholes due to their antics.. The area gets full sun and I
would prefer:

1/ Shallow roots
2/ Easy to control
3/ Doesn't creep too much
4/ Grows to a height of about 6-12 inches
5/ Can endure plastic sheeting and fallen hedge clippings twice a year !

Thanks,

Mike.

That sounds like a tricky site, because I’d have thought that most shallow-rooted plants would be liable to dry out from the established hedge taking all the moisture and from being sited in full sun. How about thyme? There are lots of varieties and it’s shallow-rooted. The low-growing (dare I say, “creeping”) types can even tolerate being trodden on, so the plastic sheeting and clippings wouldn’t be a problem. They also have attractive flowers. Or dwarf lavender? ‘Hidcote’ grows to about a foot. Other sun-loving herbs, such as oregano, could also work, but you’d have to choose a dwarf variety. I imagine they’d all need a bit of care (e.g. watering and even mulching, perhaps with gravel) in the early stages to get them established.