GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   runner Beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/91960-runner-beans.html)

Janet Bennett 04-04-2005 09:57 PM

runner Beans

It is too early for sowing runner beans in a greenhouse for later
transplanting into garden?

--
Jan

shazzbat 04-04-2005 10:26 PM

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message
It is too early for sowing runner beans in a greenhouse for later
transplanting into garden?

--
Jan

No. I sowed mine last weekend. Also french beans.
Enjoy.

Of course I'm assuming you're not above the arctic circle or anything :-))

Steve

Neil Tonks 04-04-2005 11:21 PM

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message
It is too early for sowing runner beans in a greenhouse for later
transplanting into garden?

Depends where you live. They can't go outside until there's no danger of
frost, so if you live in the north it may be a little early, but in more
southern areas you'll be fine. Runners aren't the kind of thing you can keep
indoors for long once they get going, as they quickly become a tangled mess
if they don't get support! Mine usually take about 4 weeks from sowing to
get to the 'too big' stage

andrewpreece 05-04-2005 12:31 AM

"Neil Tonks" wrote in message

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message
It is too early for sowing runner beans in a greenhouse for later
transplanting into garden?

For information, I kept my runner bean roots from last year and stored them
in some dry soil in my greenhouse. I started to water them a couple of weeks
ago and now there are signs that they are stirring into life. The good thing
is they
don't instantly become covered in mould the instant you pot them, as seems
happen with the beans,

Andy.