Old 06-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Registered User

Default Tree/Shrub Identification

Hi.
Can anyone identify this tree/shrub please?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ho/tree7ss.jpg

It's not mine, but a friends.
It had grown to 12/15' in height, but he has cut it back.
It's at the flowering stage now. Don't know if it has berries in the autumn I'm afraid.

Some more pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../leaves1kr.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...o/tree13qw.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ho/tree9pk.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...o/tree12nl.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...o/tree26bd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ho/tree4lo.jpg
Old 06-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Registered User

Just to add. There is a passion flower growing through it, and sorry the pictures didn't show. I did use the [img] and [/img] code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2yoho

Old 07-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Magwitch

h2yoho muttered:

Just to add. There is a passion flower growing through it, and sorry the
pictures didn't show. I did use the [image: and ] code.

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...o/tree7ss.jpg]

It's not mine, but a friends.
It had grown to 12/15' in height, but he has cut it back.
It's at the flowering stage now. Don't know if it has berries in the
autumn I'm afraid.

Some more pictures.

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...leaves1kr.jpg]

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../tree13qw.jpg]

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...o/tree9pk.jpg]

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../tree12nl.jpg]

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../tree26bd.jpg]

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...o/tree4lo.jpg]

Looks like a Ribes to me...

Old 08-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Kay

In article , Magwitch writes
h2yoho muttered:

h2yoho Wrote:
Hi.
Can anyone identify this tree/shrub please?

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...o/tree7ss.jpg]

It's not mine, but a friends.
It had grown to 12/15' in height, but he has cut it back.
It's at the flowering stage now. Don't know if it has berries in the
autumn I'm afraid.

Some more pictures.

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...leaves1kr.jpg]

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../tree13qw.jpg]

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...o/tree9pk.jpg]

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../tree12nl.jpg]

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../tree26bd.jpg]

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...o/tree4lo.jpg]

Looks like a Ribes to me...

With simple oval leaves like that? I didn't know any of them had
anything other than lobed leaves.

I'd decided I didn't know (my nearest guess was a Lonicera), so I've
been waiting for someone else to tell me.
--
Kay

Old 08-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Flora

Looks like a Ribes to me...

With simple oval leaves like that? I didn't know any of them had
anything other than lobed leaves.

I'd decided I didn't know (my nearest guess was a Lonicera), so I've
been waiting for someone else to tell me.

Lonicera tatarica Hack's Red?

Old 08-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Kay

In article , Flora
writes

Looks like a Ribes to me...

With simple oval leaves like that? I didn't know any of them had
anything other than lobed leaves.

I'd decided I didn't know (my nearest guess was a Lonicera), so I've
been waiting for someone else to tell me.

Lonicera tatarica Hack's Red?

Lonicera tartarica (not necessarily Hack's red) was what it put me in
mind of, but Googling suggested the leaves should have had slightly more
pointed tips.

I didn't really understand the later photos and where they fitted in.
Think I was confused by the passion flower!

--
Kay

Old 09-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Dave Poole

It is almost certainly Lonicera tatarica. The var. 'Hack's Red' has
deeper coloured flowers and possibly more acute tips to the leaves.
However this is the straight species, which can have leaf tips that
are almost pointed to rounded as well as flowers that vary
considerably in their depth of colouration (possibly an indication of
hybridisation in the distant past) .

Its pleasant enough thing and thankfully not invasive in this country.
I wouldn't buy it, but if it was already here, I wouldn't be in a
tremendous hurry to get rid of it either. It can be moderately showy
when carrying its clusters of bright red berries and the birds seem to
appreciate it. Expect it to grow up to around 7 feet high and nearly
as much across if you leave it to itself. If you don't, it will cope
with almost merciless butchery and still romp back from the roots. but
may take a year to settle back down to flowering.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 12-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Registered User

Smile

Thanks guys. I will direct my friend to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Poole

Old 12-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2yoho
Thanks guys. I will direct my friend to this thread.
I've been directed.

Yes I think it is Lonicera tatarica. It has great charachter and I live the contorted trunck and rough bark. It is definatley tree like in form with a main trunk. At present it is almost 2 storeys high and 9ft across. I have not found any information saying it grows that large.

http://img217.exs.cx/img217/3387/tree6fz.jpg
http://img57.exs.cx/img57/7010/tree16kl.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ral/tree-1.jpg

Thanks for the help.