GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When to take cuttings? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/92081-when-take-cuttings.html)

Nel 07-04-2005 02:57 PM

When to take cuttings?

I have a clematis sprawled on a trellis which is massive now, amd looks
quite ugly at ground level. At the ends, it is still growing quite
healthily.

If I'm going to cut it down, I would like to get a few cuttings first to try
and save it, but last year the cuttings that I took didn't take at all!

Please help!!

Nick Maclaren 07-04-2005 02:58 PM

In article .net,
"Nel" writes:

| I have a clematis sprawled on a trellis which is massive now, amd looks
| quite ugly at ground level. At the ends, it is still growing quite
| healthily.
|
| If I'm going to cut it down, I would like to get a few cuttings first to try
| and save it, but last year the cuttings that I took didn't take at all!
|
| Please help!!

Which clematis?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nel 07-04-2005 03:27 PM

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article .net,
"Nel" writes:

| I have a clematis sprawled on a trellis which is massive now, amd looks
| quite ugly at ground level. At the ends, it is still growing quite
| healthily.
|
| If I'm going to cut it down, I would like to get a few cuttings first

to try
| and save it, but last year the cuttings that I took didn't take at all!
|
| Please help!!

Which clematis?

I wouldn't have a clue!!! :-)

It was in before we moved to the house. I'll ask the wife as she may have
an idea.

Charlie Pridham 07-04-2005 04:16 PM

"Nel" wrote in message
news.net...
I have a clematis sprawled on a trellis which is massive now, amd looks
quite ugly at ground level. At the ends, it is still growing quite
healthily.

If I'm going to cut it down, I would like to get a few cuttings first to

try
and save it, but last year the cuttings that I took didn't take at all!

Please help!!

Best way is to layer some, dig a hole put a pot inside, fill pot with
compost or good soil, bend a good stem down into the compost and place a
stone on top to prevent it coming out, remember clematis root from the stems
not the nodes. should be well rooted by this time next year and the stem can
be severed and the pot full removed.
Clematis cuttings are easy from early February on when you are geared up for
them but tricking if you have no bottom heat (although you should achieve
about a 75% take in June July.) but layers produce a useable plant faster.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk