Old 22-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Seeds (was Millions Infected...)

Gary Woods wrote in
:

It's below zero (Farenheit, alas) in the northeastern American Colonies.
Now I've got cabin fever _and_ frostbite!

Seed catalogs coming in every day, though. They know what they're doing!

I sowed my various geranium seeds in a fit of enthusiasm after Christmas,
having ordered early.

(Fool! That way you forget how many you ordered and buy more later! In
case anyone wonders, my 'no money spent on gardening' resolution lasted
from June to October... I think that's quite good.)

To my amazement the geraniums are coming up already. They clearly liked
the savage frosts we had recently (OK, not up to Gary's standards, but it
was cold for us - everything outside was frozen about 2 in down for almost
2 weeks, and I poured 2 kettles of boiling water on the pond and failed to
make a hole in the ice.

The geranium seedlings are in the greenhouse, but it isn't heated.

Incidentally, the young eccremocarpus scaber plants that everyone said
would be fine in the greenhouse were clearly just a bit too small and
vulnerable for such treatment: they've keeled over (alas).

Luckily, I had one in a pot that was an awkward size for the greenhouse so
bunged it by the french windows in the livingroom: it's now grown to almost
6 ft tall and I think it may be going to flower soon! (hurray!)

Incidentally, Plant World Seeds sent me some free Haloragis 'Wellington
Bronze' seeds that I'm sure I didn't ask for. Does anyone grow these, and
do you like them? Do they tolerate shade well? I couldn't find much info
or good pics when I Googled.

--
Victoria Clare
gardening high up in South East Cornwall

infected soil Jackie D United Kingdom 26 13-04-2006 10:57 AM
photographs wanted: Anthiaris toxicaria, cocoa tree infected with Cocoa Swollen Shoot Virus, (healthy tree?) Dariusz J Michalczyk Plant Science 7 10-02-2005 05:11 PM
Possible cure for Fusarium Wilt infected soil ---Pete--- Edible Gardening 0 02-07-2003 01:44 PM
Millions Infected With Deadly Parasite Spread By Cats Cy United Kingdom 6 23-01-2003 02:22 AM
Frogs (was Millions Infected...) Victoria Clare United Kingdom 4 23-01-2003 01:06 AM