GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What are you doing with early grown tomato plants? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/92110-what-you-doing-early-grown-tomato-plants.html)

keith ;-\) 07-04-2005 10:38 PM

What are you doing with early grown tomato plants?

I started my tom seeds off 15th February they are going like mad,this is the
first year I am growing fruit & veg.At the rate they are growing they will
need staking soon!They are about 16 inches tall they are in a heated
greenhouse though, 60 f min.They will be moved to there final positions into
a unheated greenhouse,do you wait until the last frost,say 1 st week in June
my bedding goes out or earlier in the unheated greenhouse as the frost
shouldn't be too severe?
I have learnt not to start them off as early next time!I should get an early
crop though.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Bob 08-04-2005 01:09 AM

Frost would be a bummer. But can you cut the temperature way back?
(cut back in stages a few degrees each day. I think there are
potentailly three problems with growing cooler (above freezing of
course) - 1.inciting some mildew, 2. blossom pollination may fail
(everybody knows hot tomatos like hot sex) ), 3. takes longer for the
fruit to ripen.

Bob in sunny soCal