Old 24-01-2003, 11:54 AM
David Rance

Default Fruit on an east-facing wall

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, JS wrote:

I want to plant some fruit alongside a concrete, east-facing wall. The
site is reasonably well protected as it is behind the house and the
soil is fertile. The place is currently occupied by a variegated ivy.
Will cordon apples grow there despite having direct sunlight only in
the morning? Or would something like a row of rasperries do better? I
don't want to plant sour cherries which I am told will even grow on a
north-facing wall.

My parents had a peach tree on the east-facing wall of our house, and
the house was on a north facing hill. They had reasonably good crops
from what I remember.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS: ICHTHUS (Reading) +44-118-946-1466 | Reading, UK |

Old 27-01-2003, 03:39 PM
Dwayne

Most plants that require "full sun" need 6 to 8 hours of sun a day. Some
need more, but most fruit trees dont. My brother has beautiful roses and
grapes along his east facing wall. I am not familiar with the term cordon
apples, so I wont say for sure they will make it. Good luck. Dwayne

om...

Old 29-01-2003, 02:56 PM
JS

Thanks for the replies. I've also found some info on the RHS site.
There's a brief description of a 'model fruit garden' at Wisley which
apparently has pears and apples grown as cordons on the east and west
fences. It doesn't say exactly what fruit is growing where. I would
guess the west-facing fence would be warmer and more sheltered and so
is a better place for pears, but I guess it must be possible to grow
at least the apples facing east.