Old 24-01-2003, 03:38 PM
Derek Carver

Default Field Woodrush in Lawns

I am posting this message just in case you are suffering this weed on your
lawns.

We had at our house when we arrived an old Edwardian Tennis Lawn. This has
been used as a play area for many years but when the kids left home we decided
to work on it and turn it into a croquet lawn. But there were large areas of
field woodrush.

Experts who came in to help said there was nothing on the market that would
kill this weed.

But my old gardening books recommended nitro-chalk in order to create
conditions disliked by this plant. I duly applied it. There was no instant
effect, of course, but two or three years later I was suddenly aware that there
was no field woodrush anywhere to be seen and, as yet, it hasn't returned
although it is in other parts of the garden that I didn't treat.

Frankly I can't think what the purpose of the 'nitro' was other than to
encourage the grass to re-colonise the area. Its disadvantage was that the
only form in which I could buy this was pelleted, which meant that the
fertiliser tended to burn the grass for a while where it was concentrated. It
didn't show up, that much, of course, but in order to keep up with the
treatment (and not let the lawn return to its acid state again) I think I will
just add the chalk - assuming one can buy chalk in its powdered form.

Derek Carver
Oxshott, Surrey
Old 24-01-2003, 04:44 PM
pied piper

"Derek Carver" wrote in message
[...]

there are plenty of selective weedkillers that would kill this weed u can

also add lime to gain more alkaninity to the soil

Old 24-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Rod

[...]

Yes Woodrush is quite persisent but actually I quite like it, the flowers
are very attractive in a quiet sort of way. Some of it's bigger relatives
are excellent ornamental plants esp. Luzula niveum, Luzula sylvatica and its
variegated form.
Field woodrush occurs typically on acid impoverished lawns that are mown
very close.
Why does Nitro-Chalk work? - Well it is Calcium nitrate and as you've seen
it's powerful stuff. You are adding a big slug of nitrogen which is boosting
the growth of grasses at the expense of the Woodrush which doesn't tolerate
competition. You are also raising the pH because Calcium nitrate is a basic
salt.
If you really must get rid of Woodrush it will also help if you set the
mower a bit higher - still mow as frequently or more if you want and collect
the cuttings when the Woodrush is flowering and setting seed.
Feeding and higher mowing will also help against several other lawn weeds
and mosses.

Rod

Old 27-01-2003, 12:02 PM
J Jackson

We try and encourage the few patches we have in our "lawns" - it is really
pretty, but tends to not last. My wife even avoids cutting it when we get
a patch. Looks like I need to make an acid section, to encourage it :-)