GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How long does weedkiller stay "active"? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/92305-how-long-does-weedkiller-stay-%22active%22.html)

mentalguy2004 11-04-2005 04:23 PM

How long does weedkiller stay "active"?

if I was to treat a flower bed that has been neglected, with weedkiller, how
long (if at all) would it be before I could plant anything in it again?

And what do you find the most effective weedkiller in the UK at present? I
have cats and a dog so is this a factor in my choice?

Phil L 11-04-2005 04:34 PM

mentalguy2004 wrote:
:: if I was to treat a flower bed that has been neglected, with
:: weedkiller, how long (if at all) would it be before I could plant
:: anything in it again?
::
:: And what do you find the most effective weedkiller in the UK at
:: present? I have cats and a dog so is this a factor in my choice?

There are lots of different weedkillers about, some more dangerous than
others.....for something like this I would reccomend 'roundup' - it kills
the roots as well as the tops and is safe to plant after the weeds have
died...it needs to be applied to actively growing plants and then left for a
while for the roots to be killed, then you can dig and re-plant.
As with all weedkillers, keep pets off it for a few days after treatment
(instructions are on the bottle!)

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

mentalguy2004 12-04-2005 10:52 AM

"Phil L" wrote in message
mentalguy2004 wrote:
:: if I was to treat a flower bed that has been neglected, with
:: weedkiller, how long (if at all) would it be before I could plant
:: anything in it again?
::
:: And what do you find the most effective weedkiller in the UK at
:: present? I have cats and a dog so is this a factor in my choice?

There are lots of different weedkillers about, some more dangerous than
others.....for something like this I would reccomend 'roundup' - it kills
the roots as well as the tops and is safe to plant after the weeds have
died...it needs to be applied to actively growing plants and then left for
while for the roots to be killed, then you can dig and re-plant.
As with all weedkillers, keep pets off it for a few days after treatment
(instructions are on the bottle!)

Ok, I'll look out for that one, thanks a lot for the advice.