Old 12-04-2005, 08:37 PM
tom

Default Plant swap web site. can anyone remember what the url is?

Hi,

When I first bought my house (first ever garden) I saw a thread on
this NG that mentioned a plant swap web site. At the time I didn't
have anything to swap.

I'm desperate for 2 "black bamboo" plants to put in two old half
wooden barrels.

They seem very expensive online and I haven't seen any at my local
garden suppliers.

Can anyone remember the url & whether or not its still online.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Registered User

Tom, www.realgardeners.co.uk have a seed plant swap forum. you could give that a go. It's mainly the established members that help each other out but they (we) are a friendly bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom

Old 13-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Phil L

tom wrote:
:: Hi,
::
:: When I first bought my house (first ever garden) I saw a thread on
:: this NG that mentioned a plant swap web site. At the time I didn't
:: have anything to swap.
::
:: I'm desperate for 2 "black bamboo" plants to put in two old half
:: wooden barrels.
::
:: They seem very expensive online and I haven't seen any at my local
:: garden suppliers.
::
:: Can anyone remember the url & whether or not its still online.
::
:: Thanks for your help.

Can't find the swap site, or at least one that is any good, they're all
rubbish!
I did find some for sale though and yes, most were expensive, but I've found
what I think is a good deal, £10 each or two for £15 with free delivery and
they are gauranteed for a year:

http://www.guardianoffers.co.uk/mall...NMW63963/21819

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Old 13-04-2005, 07:11 PM
tom

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:14:31 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

tom wrote:
:: Hi,
:: I'm desperate for 2 "black bamboo" plants to put in two old half
:: wooden barrels.

Can't find the swap site, or at least one that is any good, they're all
rubbish!
I did find some for sale though and yes, most were expensive, but I've found
what I think is a good deal, £10 each or two for £15 with free delivery and
they are gauranteed for a year:

http://www.guardianoffers.co.uk/mall...NMW63963/21819

Phil,
Thanks for that. This might be a silly question as I don't know a
great deal about black bamboo, but if I am trying to fill 2 old wooden
barrels and there in 9cm pots (they must be very small) surely I'll
need 10 per barrel, which will be £150

Thanks for your help.
Old 13-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Phil L

tom wrote:
:: On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:14:31 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: tom wrote:
::::: Hi,
::::: I'm desperate for 2 "black bamboo" plants to put in two old half
::::: wooden barrels.
::
::: Can't find the swap site, or at least one that is any good,
::: they're all rubbish!
::: I did find some for sale though and yes, most were expensive, but
::: I've found what I think is a good deal, £10 each or two for £15
::: with free delivery and they are gauranteed for a year:
:::
:::
http://www.guardianoffers.co.uk/mall...NMW63963/21819
::
:: Phil,
:: Thanks for that. This might be a silly question as I don't know a
:: great deal about black bamboo, but if I am trying to fill 2 old
:: wooden barrels and there in 9cm pots (they must be very small)
:: surely I'll need 10 per barrel, which will be £150
::
My mistake, I thought you wanted to actually grow them yourself rather than
buy fully established plants...I can't imagine they will be very tall if
they come in 9cm pots, but I've heard they reach their full height of 4m
within a fairly short period of time.

Personally, I don't fancy your chances of getting fully established bamboo
of this size for sale anywhere.

Old 13-04-2005, 09:07 PM
tom

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:02:56 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:
Ok Phil thanks I'll order a couple and give them a go. Thanks for your
help.
tom wrote:
:: On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:14:31 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::::: Hi,

Old 14-04-2005, 12:57 AM
tom

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:02:56 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:
Phil, Its an 8 week min delivery time of the ones you sent me the url
for. But thanks anyway.
tom wrote:
:: On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:14:31 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::::: Hi,

Old 14-04-2005, 09:04 PM
p00kie

"tom" wrote in message
Hi,

When I first bought my house (first ever garden) I saw a thread on
this NG that mentioned a plant swap web site. At the time I didn't
have anything to swap.

I'm desperate for 2 "black bamboo" plants to put in two old half
wooden barrels.

They seem very expensive online and I haven't seen any at my local
garden suppliers.

Can anyone remember the url & whether or not its still online.

Thanks for your help.

You're just on the edge of when some garden centres buy in their bamboos
(well around my area in mid-essex).
For a small clump (say of half a dozen to 10 canes some black) about 8-10
feet high expect to pay in the region of around £39.
HTH

Old 14-04-2005, 11:03 PM
tom

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:04:24 GMT, "p00kie"
wrote:
Thats a lot of money for me to spend & there is no way i can justify
spending £40 on a plant. From what people have been telling me I'll
give it up as a bad idea.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

Up to now the most expensive plant I have bought cost £12 (japanese
maple) and it died after 6 months. I was gutted :-(

.. .