GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dextrose and plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/92404-dextrose-plants.html)

elliot 13-04-2005 05:41 PM

Dextrose and plants

I have a lot of Dextrosein solution (1.5%) that is used for peritoneal
dialysis. I need to dispose of and was told that it would be good for
bushes and plants.Any thohguts on this would be appreciated.

Elliot in Rhode Island

Chris Hogg 15-04-2005 06:37 PM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:41:10 -0400, elliot wrote:

I have a lot of Dextrosein solution (1.5%) that is used for peritoneal
dialysis. I need to dispose of and was told that it would be good for
bushes and plants.Any thohguts on this would be appreciated.

Elliot in Rhode Island

Dextrose is another name for glucose, a simple sugar, and sugars are
in turn, carbohydrates. I'm not aware that plants need or can even use
carbohydrates at their roots. Generally plants make sugars by
photosynthesis, AIUI.

I'm sure there are plenty of yeasts and bacteria in the soil that
would make use of it, but whether this would ultimately be beneficial
to the plants growing in that soil, I don't know. I imagine it could
make the soil very sour and acid.

--
Chris