Old 26-01-2003, 10:53 AM
William Anderson

Default Raising the PH 2.

Hiya all,

Many thanks to the people who replied to my last posting about my soil PH.
After reading the replies it seemed a bit odd that everyone said that i
should go back and re-test my soil. Well ive taken their advice.

The first time i tested it with one of those meter and probe things which
you just stick into the ground and the reading was 4. I then went to the
shop and bought a chemical test kit, the reading with this is 5.5 to 6. What
a difference.

The meter and probe has now gone in the dustbin.

Once again thanks to everyone for your help.

Bill.

Old 26-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Rod

"William Anderson" wrote in message
Hiya all,

Many thanks to the people who replied to my last posting about my soil PH.
After reading the replies it seemed a bit odd that everyone said that i
should go back and re-test my soil. Well ive taken their advice.

The first time i tested it with one of those meter and probe things which
you just stick into the ground and the reading was 4. I then went to the
shop and bought a chemical test kit, the reading with this is 5.5 to 6.

What
a difference.

The meter and probe has now gone in the dustbin.

Once again thanks to everyone for your help.

Bill.

That makes much more sense. You still need lime tho. Those cheapo meter
things do work but have to be used *exactly* according to the instructions.

Rod

Old 26-01-2003, 10:24 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 09:53:16 -0000, "William Anderson"
wrote:

Hiya all,

Many thanks to the people who replied to my last posting about my soil PH.
After reading the replies it seemed a bit odd that everyone said that i
should go back and re-test my soil. Well ive taken their advice.

The first time i tested it with one of those meter and probe things which
you just stick into the ground and the reading was 4. I then went to the
shop and bought a chemical test kit, the reading with this is 5.5 to 6. What
a difference.

You should still repeat the test on soil from different parts of
your garden. Because nutrient and pH levels vary so widely from
point ot point even over a small area, it is actually quite
tricky to get a reliable measure of them.

IIRC, the scientific protocol involves digging a hole and taking
out a rather large soil sample, drying this, crushing it, and
mixing it very thoroughly, then taking a small sub-sample.

Perhaps Google might unearth more precise instructions.

The meter and probe has now gone in the dustbin.

!

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

raising pH with diluted household ammonia rose Edible Gardening 1 05-01-2004 05:32 PM
Raising Seedlings John Stokes Australia 4 05-04-2003 07:35 AM
Raising the level. Nick Spalding United Kingdom 0 20-02-2003 07:17 PM
raising PH levels Rod United Kingdom 0 24-01-2003 09:41 PM
raising PH levels William Anderson United Kingdom 2 23-01-2003 10:17 PM