Old 26-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Black Shadow

Default Greenfly on Venus flytrap

Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a way of getting rid of greenfly from a venus flytrap,
I know they won't tolerate any form of pesticide, and I have tried small
jets of water to dislodge them but to no avail, they are back with a
vengeance, and plant is now starting to look a bit sickly.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 26-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Natalie

Can anyone recommend a way of getting rid of greenfly from a venus

flytrap,
I know they won't tolerate any form of pesticide, and I have tried small
jets of water to dislodge them but to no avail, they are back with a
vengeance, and plant is now starting to look a bit sickly.

You would have thought the plant would eat them ;-)

Natalie

Old 26-01-2003, 08:44 PM
Martin Sykes

"Black Shadow" wrote in message
Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a way of getting rid of greenfly from a venus

flytrap,
I know they won't tolerate any form of pesticide, and I have tried small

I don't know if washing-up liquid counts as pesticide. Make a solution in a
spray bottle and spray the greenfly. After a few hours go back and rinse off
any residue.

Martin

Old 26-01-2003, 09:31 PM
snafu steve

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
"Black Shadow" wrote in message
Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a way of getting rid of greenfly from a venus

flytrap,
I know they won't tolerate any form of pesticide, and I have tried small

I don't know if washing-up liquid counts as pesticide. Make a solution in

spray bottle and spray the greenfly. After a few hours go back and rinse

off
any residue.

Martin

Spray half the plant like this if you can. Then if there are no ill effects,
or if the plant improves, spray the other half.

Steve

Old 27-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Edwin Spector

No need to use chemical sprays or detergents! Just immerse the whole kaboodle in
rainwater, leaves and all, for a couple of days. That'll drown the pests and not
hurt the plant. Next, please.

Edwin
Bath.

Old 28-01-2003, 02:25 AM
Black Shadow

Thanks Edwin,
That was the sensible answer I was looking for )
Thanks for the other sugestions too, I thought soap suds might have a
burning effect on the over delicate leaves )

Steve

Old 29-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Alastair

"Black Shadow" wrote in message ...
Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a way of getting rid of greenfly from a venus flytrap,
I know they won't tolerate any form of pesticide, and I have tried small
jets of water to dislodge them but to no avail, they are back with a
vengeance, and plant is now starting to look a bit sickly.

Thanks,
Steve

I've used pesticide spray on a venus flytrap without ill effect. It
had an aphid infestation a couple of years ago. Aphids all gone, VFT
fine.
But saying that, the immersion method is preferable, just wasn't
practical for me at the time.

Alastair