Old 16-04-2005, 09:25 PM
SteveWJ

Default Advice required on water feature / solar pumps

Hi,

I want to make a cheap, basic water feature for our decking and a
solar-powered pump would seem the easiest way of doing this. Does
anyone have any experience of using these? - are they generally any
good, and what should I look out for?

The price does seem to vary considerably, so any help would be
gratefully received. So far, i've found the following sites:-

http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/item-...Kit--waterpump
http://www.gosolar.u-net.com/Solar_f...ns_gosolar.htm
http://www.solarpumps.co.uk/rechargeable.asp

I'm not an expert, and don't want to spend too much time on this, so
the simpler the better!

Many thanks in advance

Steve

Old 16-04-2005, 11:00 PM
Ang Ang is offline
Registered User

don't know if this wil help..but I just bought a water feature with solar pump for the bottom of the garden as putting in electric would be too much hard work( basic boring teracotta urn and bowl from B & q) and was surprised how little sun is needed to get the pump working and how strong the water flow was.

The only drawback is that due to the direction of the sun I have to move the solar panel as the sun rises over

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWJ

Old 16-04-2005, 11:19 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"SteveWJ" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi,

I want to make a cheap, basic water feature for our decking and a
solar-powered pump would seem the easiest way of doing this. Does
anyone have any experience of using these? - are they generally any
good, and what should I look out for?

The price does seem to vary considerably, so any help would be
gratefully received. So far, i've found the following sites:-

http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/item-...Kit--waterpump
http://www.gosolar.u-net.com/Solar_f...ns_gosolar.htm
http://www.solarpumps.co.uk/rechargeable.asp

I'm not an expert, and don't want to spend too much time on this, so
the simpler the better!

Many thanks in advance

Steve

I bought several of them a couple of years ago from different sources
hoping to make a water feature. I returned each of them to the shops and
bought an electric one. They are rubbish and a waste of money. For a start
they only work in full sunshine and secondly I could pee a better flow rate
than they produce.

Old 17-04-2005, 09:22 AM
JennyC

"w.g.s.hamm" wrote
"SteveWJ" wrote
Hi,

I want to make a cheap, basic water feature for our decking and a
solar-powered pump would seem the easiest way of doing this. Does
anyone have any experience of using these? - are they generally any
good, and what should I look out for?
snip
Steve

I bought several of them a couple of years ago from different sources
hoping to make a water feature. I returned each of them to the shops and
bought an electric one. They are rubbish and a waste of money. For a start
they only work in full sunshine and secondly I could pee a better flow rate
than they produce.

I had a similar experience with solar lights :~(
More like glow worms !
Jenny

Old 17-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Tumbleweed

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

I am convinced my garden gets darker when the solar lights come on. petrol
station junk bought on an impulse.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 17-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Mike Lyle

Tumbleweed wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

Was it, I wonder, one of my own children or somebody else's who used
to say "Turn the dark on"? This was, of course, before clever Daddy
discovered how to blow out an electric light.

--
Mike.

Old 18-04-2005, 07:30 AM
JennyC

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:24:31 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

Mine too.

Failed glow worm farmers are we.
Martin

I took the cheapo ones back and bought some 'proper' expensive ones instead.
They were just as bad as the others!
Took those back too and bought new lamps for the bedroom instead :~)
Jenny

Old 20-04-2005, 09:34 AM
RussHarvey

I recently bought the rechargable version from solarpumps.co.uk and
have been very pleased with it.

I wouldn't recommend one unless it has a battery, as otherwise it'll
obviously only work when the sun is directly on it.

The pump I have is more than adequate for the water feature I've made
and the battery life is very good too.

hope this is of help.

russ
Old 20-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Paul Taylor

I bought a low voltage DC pump and a solar panel, about 3ft by 1ft, and
unless it was pointing directly at the sun it did mostly nothing at all.
However, when the sun did shine, the solar panel powered my pump too much:
water was spewing out of my water feature too fast. So you need a battery
if you go down this route.

With the solar panel in a position of dappled shade (still a lot of
sunlight getting to the panel) the pump would stop. If the solar panel was
directed away from the sun (by not very much IIRC) the pump would stop.
The company I bought the solar panel from said it would work in overcast
conditions!! I got my money back.

My water feature is now powered from the mains, and works just right.

Regards,

Paul.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.

Solar pump for water feature Jim[_22_] United Kingdom 4 07-12-2011 02:12 PM
Solar Powered Pond Pumps bruce Ponds 7 19-09-2006 01:53 AM
Lugano Solar Pond Pumps greyness Ponds (alternative) 0 02-02-2006 01:18 AM
How efficient are solar powered pumps? Broadback Ponds 3 03-08-2005 08:45 AM
Solar pumps kari Ponds 8 07-05-2003 03:32 AM