Old 17-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Susan

Default Zantedeschia aethiopica

I've had a Zantedeschia aethiopica for almost 3 years. I know that these
are waterside plants that like wet soil, full sun and no frost.

I don't have a pond, so the plant is in a very large pot of all-purpose
compost, kept very moist at all times, kept in an unheated greenhouse in
winter, fertilised sparingly with general-purpose fertiliser.

Problems -- It has never flowered. Its leaves are a rather pale yellowish
green (it's never lost its leaves in winter, if that means anything).

The plant is obviously not happy, so can anyone advise on what I can do to
to bring it into flower and help its leaves turn darker green?

Thanks.

Old 17-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 10:00:12 GMT, "Susan" wrote:

I've had a Zantedeschia aethiopica for almost 3 years. I know that these
are waterside plants that like wet soil, full sun and no frost.

I don't have a pond, so the plant is in a very large pot of all-purpose
compost, kept very moist at all times, kept in an unheated greenhouse in
winter, fertilised sparingly with general-purpose fertiliser.

Problems -- It has never flowered. Its leaves are a rather pale yellowish
green (it's never lost its leaves in winter, if that means anything).

The plant is obviously not happy, so can anyone advise on what I can do to
to bring it into flower and help its leaves turn darker green?

Thanks.

Feed it?
Repot it in fresh soil?

I had one which did not flower for 2 years. The following Spring I
repotted it in a larger pot, in fresh JI compost and it flowered well.
Mine stays out all winter and loses its leaves but comes back again.

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Susan

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 10:00:12 GMT, "Susan" wrote:

I've had a Zantedeschia aethiopica for almost 3 years. Problems -- It

has never flowered. Its leaves are a rather pale yellowish
green (it's never lost its leaves in winter, if that means anything).

Feed it?
Repot it in fresh soil?

Thanks, Pam. I've done both of your suggestions, so I'll wait and see if
things improve.

Regards.

Old 17-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Bob Hobden

"Susan" wrote
I've had a Zantedeschia aethiopica for almost 3 years. I know that these
are waterside plants that like wet soil, full sun and no frost.

I don't have a pond, so the plant is in a very large pot of all-purpose
compost, kept very moist at all times, kept in an unheated greenhouse in
winter, fertilised sparingly with general-purpose fertiliser.

Problems -- It has never flowered. Its leaves are a rather pale yellowish
green (it's never lost its leaves in winter, if that means anything).

The plant is obviously not happy, so can anyone advise on what I can do to
to bring it into flower and help its leaves turn darker green?

I don't know where you are but my neighbour has 4 clumps in her front garden
(S. facing) and they have been there for years. They get damaged by any
frost but come back again quite quickly and make a magnificent display all
summer.
My own disappeared last winter after growing in the garden for years, I
doubt it was the frost and suspect some animal (found a large hole!).
Saw some in a small garden near Middle Temple Hall in London last week and
they were in flower!

A moist sunny patch in the garden will suit them fine in the S. of the
country but don't plant them out until all chance of frost has passed.

--
Regards
Bob