Old 17-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Susan

Default ceanothus autumnal blue

Can anyone give me advice on how to prune Ceanothus autumnal blue?

I have a wall-trained shrub, 7 feet tall, but it's looking decidedly ragged
with only a few leaves remaining, mostly at the top of each branch.

I've trimmed off all the dead bits, but I'm not sure what to do with the
remaining stems.

Thanks.

Old 17-04-2005, 04:37 PM
andrewpreece

"Susan" wrote in message
Can anyone give me advice on how to prune Ceanothus autumnal blue?

I have a wall-trained shrub, 7 feet tall, but it's looking decidedly

ragged
with only a few leaves remaining, mostly at the top of each branch.

I've trimmed off all the dead bits, but I'm not sure what to do with the
remaining stems.

Thanks.

Odd, I have one of these, and it's covered in leaves and is in full bloom
( it blooms again in the autumn - can't figure out why they call it Autumnal
Blue when it flowers in spring AND autumn ). Autumnal blue is evergreen,
so I would be inclined to think that yours is most unhappy about something.
What is its situation/aspect/soil?

Andy.

Old 17-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Susan

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
"Susan" wrote in message
Can anyone give me advice on how to prune Ceanothus autumnal blue?

Odd, I have one of these, and it's covered in leaves and is in full bloom
( it blooms again in the autumn - can't figure out why they call it

Autumnal
Blue when it flowers in spring AND autumn ). Autumnal blue is evergreen,
so I would be inclined to think that yours is most unhappy about

something.
What is its situation/aspect/soil?

Hi, Andy. It's in a south-facing border in neutral to slightly acid soil.
However, it's in a fairly windy spot, which I think might be the problem (I
live on a hill and can't get away from the wind). It does have new growth
on it, so at least it's still alive and it has one lonely flower on it right
now.

I wondered if I should prune each branch back to where I see new leaves
coming; but that would mean its height and bulk would be reduced quite
drastically, which would be a shame as it's taken 4 years to get to its
present size.

Thanks.

Old 17-04-2005, 09:53 PM
keith ;-\)

Hi Susan
Ceanothus don't respond well to pruning .Buy this months issue of Gardens
Monthly(magazine) were there is a article by Roger Philips who holds the
National Collection for them.The next piece is from the article-
Their tendency to die back usually starts from damage & pruning.
Roger offers the following advise:If you cut them back after flowering on
the new wood,then that's fine.But cut them to half size and you will
probably lose them.The best time to do this is in winter,so they can restart
to grow in spring.
He also says in the article : if you see a dead branch it will eventually
run back into the plant and kill it.
Hope this helps at all.

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

Old 17-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Klara

In message , "keith ;-)"
writes
If you cut them back after flowering on the new wood,then that's
fine.But cut them to half size and you will probably lose them.The
best time to do this is in winter,so they can restart to grow in
spring. He also says in the article : if you see a dead branch it will
eventually
run back into the plant and kill it.

So if you see dead bits, should you cut back to a live bit? Or does it
mean it's had it anyway?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 18-04-2005, 09:55 PM
keith ;-\)

I take it as it should be ok to cut back to live bit,if the dead part is
dead you have nothing to lose,so instead of leaving it to die back it makes
sense to me to cut the dead part away.

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.
"Klara" wrote in message
In message , "keith ;-)"
writes

autumnal oxlip Willi_9 Garden Photos 0 20-09-2015 12:32 PM
autumnal aster Willi Garden Photos 2 14-10-2012 11:24 PM
Autumnal Shadows 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 13-10-2011 04:26 PM
Autumnal garden thoughts from Devon Winsford United Kingdom 0 16-09-2007 08:15 AM