Old 27-01-2003, 01:09 AM

Default Pete's unknown Cymbidium

Pete,

It looks very much like the hybrid 'Angelica' and the flower spike
length you cite seems to back this up. Its a lovely thing which I
grew quite a few years ago with great success in a cold greenhouse.

Dave Poole
TORQUAY UK
Old 27-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Pete The Gardener" wrote in message :
,

It looks very much like the hybrid 'Angelica' and the flower spike
length you cite seems to back this up. Its a lovely thing which I
grew quite a few years ago with great success in a cold greenhouse.

I've not been able to find a pic of 'Angelica' so I couldn't check,
but I should add that when in full flower the flower spikes are about
6 or 700mm long. With luck it should be flowering again in about 6
weeks to 2 months, though if we get more warm weather it could be
sooner, it seems to stop developing when it gets below about 6 or 8C
and they're talking about cold and snow again later this week:-(

Welcome back Pete, where have you been, there was even a thread asking where
you had gone. Couldn't mail you as I've had to reformat my HD and lost
everything!

Anyway, I understand that in Japan various unusual cultivated forms of C.
goeringii can fetch crazy money. I've looked for it on and off for some
while but I've yet to see it for sale in the UK. I'll have to redouble my
search.
It's on of the oldest "pretty" plants in cultivation, for over 2,500 years
in China, and they grow some outside at Kew right next to the Alpine House.
Cribb and Bailes in "Hardy Orchids" say it's doubtfully hardy in the UK.
Probably due to our wet cold winters, they live under a nice blanket of snow
for the winter in their native lands.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 27-01-2003, 06:59 PM
Rod

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

Hardy Cymbidiums 8-)) ? I might might learn to like orchids after all. Also
read of some scented orchids - even better.

Welcome back Pete - where ya been?

Rod

Old 27-01-2003, 11:52 PM
Pete The Gardener

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:12:53 GMT, Roger Van Loon
wrote:

Still don't know where you are growing it outside :-))
Regards
Roger.

South Kensington :-)
--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 28-01-2003, 12:01 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:59:51 -0000, "Rod"
wrote:

Hardy Cymbidiums 8-)) ?

:-) well,hardy here, I'm not sure about up your way.

I might might learn to like orchids after all. Also
read of some scented orchids - even better.

It's not bad for a rescue plant. Someone chucked it away and I
couldn't see it end up in a skip so I bunged it in a wall manger by
the office and it's seemed quite happy ever since.

Welcome back Pete - where ya been?

Thanks.
Some bad Real Life hassles have been interfering unfortunately.

Old 28-01-2003, 12:06 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:35:19 -0000, "Sue & Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Welcome back Pete, where have you been, there was even a thread asking where
you had gone. Couldn't mail you as I've had to reformat my HD and lost
everything!

Blimey, it was only a major incursion of Real Life, I hope all's OK
here in my absence.

It's on of the oldest "pretty" plants in cultivation, for over 2,500 years
in China, and they grow some outside at Kew right next to the Alpine House.
Cribb and Bailes in "Hardy Orchids" say it's doubtfully hardy in the UK.
Probably due to our wet cold winters, they live under a nice blanket of snow
for the winter in their native lands.

Well I've seen mine covered in snow several times over the years.

Old 28-01-2003, 05:46 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Rod" wrote in message
Hardy Cymbidiums 8-)) ? I might might learn to like orchids after all.

Also
read of some scented orchids - even better.

Not sure about scented hardy orchids other than one that smell bad, but a
number of tropical orchids do have scent but if they are moth pollinated it
only comes out at night, Angraecums and Aerangis have little scent during
the day but it's a different matter at night.
Certainly, large flowered Cattleyas, Miltonias, Zygopetalums and others do
have strong scent.

Cymbidium Unknown Wendy7 Orchid Photos 2 05-05-2008 05:15 PM
Mini Cymbidium Unknown Wendy7 Orchid Photos 3 30-03-2008 01:16 PM
Cymbidium Unknown Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 29-04-2007 05:53 AM
[IBC] St. Pete show Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-10-2003 04:22 AM
so did anyone get hold of pete (the gardner) in the end? Amber United Kingdom 11 14-01-2003 12:29 PM