Old 18-04-2005, 02:10 AM
[H]omer

Default Alpine / Rock plants?

I have a small area covered in loose 2" pink granite rocks, and I'd like
to know if there's any type of plant (wild or otherwise) which could
grow on it (other than lichen or moss). There is some compacted/stony
soil underneath that is quite acid, and the rocks are about 2 - 3 deep.

Please don't ask why
I *do* have a reason.

Most of the stuff I've found via Google requires limestone or direct
soil contact, which I don't think would work here (unless the plants
seeded underneath the rocks then grew through the cracks).

I'd prefer full cover (kind of like heather) with delicate flowers -
i.e. hide the rocks. No I'm not going to move them

-
Thanks,
[H]omer.
Old 18-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Mike Lyle

[H]omer wrote:
I have a small area covered in loose 2" pink granite rocks, and I'd
like to know if there's any type of plant (wild or otherwise) which
could grow on it (other than lichen or moss). There is some
compacted/stony soil underneath that is quite acid, and the rocks

are
about 2 - 3 deep.

Please don't ask why
I *do* have a reason.

Most of the stuff I've found via Google requires limestone or

direct
soil contact, which I don't think would work here (unless the

plants
seeded underneath the rocks then grew through the cracks).

I'd prefer full cover (kind of like heather) with delicate

flowers -
i.e. hide the rocks. No I'm not going to move them

Sounds as though your instinct is right: heathers would be great in
that position, and are very low-maintenance once established. They
don't want shade, though. I'd suggest planting in groups of half a
dozen or even more of each variety, as singletons look a bit
pointless to my mind.

Or you could have a very nice display of small rhododendrons/azaleas,
some of which will appreciate a little shade.

You will want direct soil contact, though: is it all right to move
_some_ of the stones aside? If it is, it'll be best to make a nice
home for each plant by loosening the soil underneath and adding
enough extra to bring up to level: this planting pocket need only be
six inches across, and you can put just a few of your stones back to
disguise and retain the bare soil round the plant till it's grown a
bit.

If not even a few of the stones can be moved, even temporarily, I
don't see how you can plant anything; so you'd have to use the space
for a display of pot plants

I think you will probably get some moss coming in, but it shouldn't
matter.

Alpinists will probably have some more suggestions.

--
Mike.

Old 18-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:10:22 +0100, "[H]omer" wrote:

I have a small area covered in loose 2" pink granite rocks, and I'd like
to know if there's any type of plant (wild or otherwise) which could
grow on it (other than lichen or moss). There is some compacted/stony
soil underneath that is quite acid, and the rocks are about 2 - 3 deep.

Please don't ask why
I *do* have a reason.

Most of the stuff I've found via Google requires limestone or direct
soil contact, which I don't think would work here (unless the plants
seeded underneath the rocks then grew through the cracks).

I'd prefer full cover (kind of like heather) with delicate flowers -
i.e. hide the rocks. No I'm not going to move them

Consider planting the very things that gardening books warn you not to
plant because they are unrestrainable "rampers." Cerastium tomentosum
(snow-in-summer) is one.

BTW, I see you are posting from a .gov address, from which I infer
that you are in the US. This newsgroup is for gardening in the United
Kingdom, and conditions there differ radically from conditions in most
of the US. You might do better asking in rec.gardens.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada
Old 18-04-2005, 11:10 PM
[H]omer

Rodger Whitlock wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:10:22 +0100, "[H]omer" wrote:

I have a small area covered in loose 2" pink granite rocks, and I'd like
to know if there's any type of plant (wild or otherwise) which could
grow on it

Consider planting the very things that gardening books warn you not to
plant because they are unrestrainable "rampers." Cerastium tomentosum
(snow-in-summer) is one.

Interesting. I'll look into it, thanks.

BTW, I see you are posting from a .gov address

It's fake. In fact it's the reporting address for spam violations (most
of which originate in the US).

If anyone on this group wants to contact me directly, use this address:
(sorry about the OTT obfuscation, but spam is a massive problem on Usenet.)

u.r.g.l.e.r.
$%^$^$%
a.t.
$^$£^$%
g.e.n.e.s.i.s.-.x.
£$^$%^$%^
d.o.t.
£%^$%^$%
n.i.l.d.r.a.m.
£%^$%^$%^
d.o.t.
$^£$%^$%
c.o.
$£^$%^$%
d.o.t.
$£^$%^$%^
u.k.

Thanks again.

-
[H]omer

Old 19-04-2005, 12:55 AM
[H]omer

Mike Lyle wrote:
[H]omer wrote:
I have a small area covered in loose 2" pink granite rocks, and I'd
like to know if there's any type of plant (wild or otherwise) which
could grow on it

I'd prefer full cover (kind of like heather) with delicate flowers -
i.e. hide the rocks. No I'm not going to move them

Sounds as though your instinct is right: heathers would be great in
that position, and are very low-maintenance once established. They
don't want shade, though

Yes I do like the idea of heathers in that spot. It's on the north face
of a small mound - still gets plenty of sun, but is slightly protected
from the wind.

You will want direct soil contact, though: is it all right to move
_some_ of the stones aside?

Oh sure, I can do that. I just need enough stones there to make the area
'awkward' to walk on - i.e. I'm trying to discourage people trampling
over it - esp. with bicycles.

it'll be best to make a nice home for each plant by loosening the soil
underneath and adding enough extra to bring up to level

Great, I'll do that.

I think you will probably get some moss coming in, but it shouldn't
matter.

Oh I don't have an objection to moss, I just want something else as the
main feature.

Thanks.

-
[H]omer