Old 27-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Roger Van Loon

Default Cymbidium goeringii

wrote:

Pete,

It looks very much like the hybrid 'Angelica' and the flower spike
length you cite seems to back this up. Its a lovely thing which I
grew quite a few years ago with great success in a cold greenhouse.

Dave Poole
TORQUAY UK

Yes, a beautiful plant - certainly one of the hybrids. If Pete can
grow it outside, I suppose he's in the Southwest?
Anyhow, my Cymbidium goeringii is a totally different thing. I read
that there are more than 50 Cymbidium species, look at:
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/5532/
of which hardly one tenth has been used for hybridising. My plant
looks more like grass, no pseudobulbs at all, does not resemble the
Cymbidiums that we know. I read that it comes from (among other
places) Korea and Japan, so I suppose it could indeed be totally
hardy. Wonder how much snow cover it gets in its native habitat.
Regards,
Roger.

--
You're welcome to visit my gardening page:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.loon/gardenp.htm