Old 17-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Aries

Default Tree question

We are considering planting a fast growing tree about 8 feet away from the
corner of our house for reasons of privacy. An evergreen would be
preferable but any tree with roots that would not extend too far towards
the house is a must. Suggestions gratefully received.TIA
--
Give others freedom to be themselves.
Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours.
Old 17-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:55:34 +0100, Aries
wrote:

We are considering planting a fast growing tree about 8 feet away from the
corner of our house for reasons of privacy. An evergreen would be
preferable but any tree with roots that would not extend too far towards
the house is a must. Suggestions gratefully received.TIA

What do you want the ultimate height and width to be?

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Aries

wrote:

We are considering planting a fast growing tree about 8 feet away from the
corner of our house for reasons of privacy. An evergreen would be
preferable but any tree with roots that would not extend too far towards
the house is a must. Suggestions gratefully received.TIA

What do you want the ultimate height and width to be?

Pam in Bristol

Approx 10 in height, not sure about the width - about 5-6 feet I guess. I
was wondering about a birch?
--
Thank God for friends, more prized as years increase.
Let all else, if must be, cease. But Lord of Life I pray on me bestow
Old 17-04-2005, 04:42 PM
p00kie

wrote:

We are considering planting a fast growing tree about 8 feet away from
the
corner of our house for reasons of privacy. An evergreen would be
preferable but any tree with roots that would not extend too far towards
the house is a must. Suggestions gratefully received.TIA

What do you want the ultimate height and width to be?

Pam in Bristol

Approx 10 in height, not sure about the width - about 5-6 feet I guess. I
was wondering about a birch?
--
Thank God for friends, more prized as years increase.
Let all else, if must be, cease. But Lord of Life I pray on me bestow
The gift of friends to share the way I go.
http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

Birch can have invasive roots

Old 17-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Aries

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:42:46 GMT, p00kie wrote:

Birch can have invasive roots

Birch is out then, thanks for that
--
Parents start you off on life
but friends get you through it.

Old 17-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Aries

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 16:43:27 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

Bad choice. It grows to 60 ft, won't give any privacy at all during
winter, and 8ft from your house could be a hazard to your
foundations.Few fast growing trees will stop at 10 ft, or be safe 8ft
from the building.

Thanks Janet. When I say 10' I mean no higher, we would stop it at that
--
Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Old 17-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

We are considering planting a fast growing tree about 8 feet away from the
corner of our house for reasons of privacy. An evergreen would be
preferable but any tree with roots that would not extend too far towards
the house is a must. Suggestions gratefully received.TIA

Birch isn't evergreen!
How about viburnum tinus? I have one about 10 ft high and 6 ft wide,
but I cut it back when it gets too big. It has flower interest in
winter. Not sure about the roots, as mine is futher from the house.
Janet's idea of a screen sounds a better bet.

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Aries

wrote:

We are considering planting a fast growing tree about 8 feet away from the
corner of our house for reasons of privacy. An evergreen would be
preferable but any tree with roots that would not extend too far towards
the house is a must. Suggestions gratefully received.TIA

Birch isn't evergreen!

Yep, I know, but was considering either or

How about viburnum tinus? I have one about 10 ft high and 6 ft wide,
but I cut it back when it gets too big. It has flower interest in
winter. Not sure about the roots, as mine is futher from the house.
Janet's idea of a screen sounds a better bet.

I agree. I am thinking more of a screen now. Thanks for replying Pam

--
Great ability develops and reveals itself increasingly
with every new assignment.
Old 18-04-2005, 10:34 AM
spakker

"Aries" wrote in message
We are considering planting a fast growing tree about 8 feet away from the
corner of our house for reasons of privacy. An evergreen would be

Fatsia japonica ?

Old 18-04-2005, 09:01 PM
p00kie

"spakker" wrote in message

"Aries" wrote in message
We are considering planting a fast growing tree about 8 feet away from
the
corner of our house for reasons of privacy. An evergreen would be

Fatsia japonica ?

Yeuch!

How about .... ceonothus - aka californian lilac .. (spelling poss there)
.... or holly ... or ... clump forming bamboo or ... mmm
Suggest you try : http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselector/default.aspx for
one or two ideas!

Old 18-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Duncan Heenan

wrote:

We are considering planting a fast growing tree about 8 feet away from
the
corner of our house for reasons of privacy. An evergreen would be
preferable but any tree with roots that would not extend too far towards
the house is a must. Suggestions gratefully received.TIA

Birch isn't evergreen!

Yep, I know, but was considering either or

How about viburnum tinus? I have one about 10 ft high and 6 ft wide,
but I cut it back when it gets too big. It has flower interest in
winter. Not sure about the roots, as mine is futher from the house.
Janet's idea of a screen sounds a better bet.

I agree. I am thinking more of a screen now. Thanks for replying Pam

--
Great ability develops and reveals itself increasingly
with every new assignment.
http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

How about griselinia littorais? It's not exactly a tree but it has limited
root spread, is excellent screening, grows fast (especially in full; sun,)
is evergreen, and will come up to your size requirements in about 4/5 years
if nurtured a bit.

Old 19-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Janet Tweedy

What about a Pyracantha? I've trained it upright to reach about 10 foot
on a metal stake and then allowed it to spread. It's fairly sturdy and
is now about 12 foot high and I can prune it fairly tightly.
Trouble with 8 foot away is that the spread of most trees other than
fastigate is likely to be more than the distance from your house.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph