Old 19-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Mike

Default Plants and Seeds from abroad

As I understand it, you are not allowed to bring plants and seeds into this
country from abroad. Is this a total ban? Are there any 'loop holes' or
'blind eye' opportunities to bring a 'memento' or two of a cruise in?

;-))

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

Old 19-04-2005, 07:49 PM
p00kie

"Mike" wrote in message
As I understand it, you are not allowed to bring plants and seeds into
this
country from abroad. Is this a total ban? Are there any 'loop holes' or
'blind eye' opportunities to bring a 'memento' or two of a cruise in?

;-))

Some plants ... not all and some have restrictions ...
http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/impexp.htm
Bear in mind that these rules are in place for many good reasons.

Old 19-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Phil L

Mike wrote:
:: As I understand it, you are not allowed to bring plants and seeds
:: into this country from abroad. Is this a total ban? Are there any
:: 'loop holes' or 'blind eye' opportunities to bring a 'memento' or
:: two of a cruise in?
::
:: ;-))
::

I don't know, but last week I found a mimosa seed which had remained in my
camera case since last August when I came back from Turkey, I planted it but
it didn't do anything...in the past few days I have built a heated frame[1]
inside the GH and put the pot in last night, this morning it's almost an
inch high - the bloody thing's going to be a triffid!

[1]
It's heated by gas and so I can't rig up a thermostat, last night was frosty
here but the min/max thermometer read that inside the frame went down to
60F, but the max was almost 100, of course the early sun today bumped the
temperature sky high, but there's little I can do about it, we have the
house at around 60F during the day, at night it's not much higher than
outside! - me chillis were stunted in here.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Old 19-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Mike

::

I don't know, but last week I found a mimosa seed which had remained in my
camera case since last August when I came back from Turkey,

That was one little seed which 'crept' in ;-)

In the past when we have cruised we have had weight restrictions by flying
out to the Cruise ship. This time we are cruising from Southampton. No
weight restrictions, taxi from home to the ferry at Cowes and Taxi from the
ferry at Southampton to the ship :-)) One and a half hours from home to ship
:-))

I was hoping to bring plants and seeds from anywhere. We have a very hot
part in the South facing garden and can shelter it from the severest of
weather.

Mike

Old 19-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Mike
writes
As I understand it, you are not allowed to bring plants and seeds into this
country from abroad. Is this a total ban? Are there any 'loop holes' or
'blind eye' opportunities to bring a 'memento' or two of a cruise in?

;-))

Mike

I know at least two or three people who have import licences for plants
and seeds. If I recall on this URG, David Hill (Dahlia David of Abacus
nurseries) also has a licence for importation.

However I believe there are one or two countries than you are allowed to
import a small selection from a list.
Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 19-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Phil L

Mike wrote:
::: I don't know, but last week I found a mimosa seed which had
::: remained in my camera case since last August when I came back
::: from Turkey,
::
:: That was one little seed which 'crept' in ;-)
::
:: In the past when we have cruised we have had weight restrictions
:: by flying out to the Cruise ship. This time we are cruising from
:: Southampton. No weight restrictions, taxi from home to the ferry
:: at Cowes and Taxi from the ferry at Southampton to the ship :-))
:: One and a half hours from home to ship :-))
::
:: I was hoping to bring plants and seeds from anywhere. We have a
:: very hot part in the South facing garden and can shelter it from
:: the severest of weather.

I think seeds would be your best bet, plants are a bit suspicious as well as
bulky, plus you will have to try and keep them alive for the remainder of
your voyage, seeds can be stashed in socks, film tubes, camera cases
etc....I don't know the exact rules regarding bringing stuff like this into
the country except that it's 'not allowed' somewhere down the line, which is
where the socks and film tubes come in!

FWIW, I've *never* heard of a case where someone has been 'done' for it, and
let's face it, since mankind first clambered aboard a hollowed-out log, he's
brought all kinds back with him on the off-chance that it would 'look nice'
in his back yard, or taste good in a stew.

:-P

Old 19-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Mike

I think seeds would be your best bet, plants are a bit suspicious as well

as
bulky, plus you will have to try and keep them alive for the remainder of
your voyage,

I think you might just be a bit correct there :-)) Cabin would be a bit full
after 3 months if it were ALL plants.

:-))

Mike

Old 19-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
p00kie wrote:

Some plants ... not all and some have restrictions ...
http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/impexp.htm
Bear in mind that these rules are in place for many good reasons.

And some bad ones. Which is better than for animal products, where
the reasons (and rules) are almost entirely bad - indeed, actually
malicious.

I have my doubts that items 16 and especially 17 of schedule 3 are
really relevant to the UK, but otherwise the documents look sane.
NOTHING can justify rules such as banning private imports of over
(say) 100 grammes of smoked meat while leaving smaller quantities
and commercial imports uncontrolled.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Phil L

Mike wrote:
:: As I understand it, you are not allowed to bring plants and seeds
:: into this country from abroad. Is this a total ban? Are there any
:: 'loop holes' or 'blind eye' opportunities to bring a 'memento' or
:: two of a cruise in?
::
:: ;-))

There's quite a few you can bring in without a license, but it's dependant
on where they came from, whether they are diseased or carrying pests etc and
whether they pose a threat to our own native species, there's a PDF format
list here, quite a good read too.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/resea...d_e_abroad.pdf

Old 19-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Neil Tonks

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes
As I understand it, you are not allowed to bring plants and seeds into
this
country from abroad. Is this a total ban? Are there any 'loop holes' or
'blind eye' opportunities to bring a 'memento' or two of a cruise in?

;-))

Mike

I know at least two or three people who have import licences for plants
and seeds. If I recall on this URG, David Hill (Dahlia David of Abacus
nurseries) also has a licence for importation.

However I believe there are one or two countries than you are allowed to
import a small selection from a list.
Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

It's nothing like a total ban. It can be a complex area but basically the
rules for personal imports a

Imported from within the EU (or a few other places such as Switzerland) and
grown in the EU - bring whatever you like, there are no restrictions (the
joys of a free market!)

Grown outside the EU - there are restrictions but it depends on they type of
plant and where it comes from.

The following document sets out the rules for personal imports of plants and
plant material:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/ille...nal_plants.PDF

--
Neil

Visit my Peak District walking website - www.peakwalking.co.uk

Old 20-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Mike

There's quite a few you can bring in without a license, but it's dependant
on where they came from, whether they are diseased or carrying pests etc

and
whether they pose a threat to our own native species, there's a PDF format
list here, quite a good read too.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/resea...d_e_abroad.pdf

Many thanks to Neill and Phil for the information and the web sites. I will
be taking a laptop with me so will run those two sites onto it and call them
up as and when required.

We are certainly not collecting for commercial gain, just a few memories to
go into the garden on our return, 'if' the plant is suitable for our
climate. Whilst we do have a 'certain amount of rain' in this country, I
don't think that a plant from the Tropical Rain Forest would last too long
;-((

Have to be honest, I thought ANY plant/seed brought back was a no no. Thanks
for enlightening me :-))

Mike

Old 20-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Colin Hammond

In 1973 I brought back some bulbs from the Azores, I think they are locally
known as Bella Donna. I planted them against a south facing wall and in 1976
they flowered, remember 1976! Since then nothing except lots of lush green
growth every year even though I moved them to a greenhouse 20 years ago.
When I see them struggling every year I wish I could find someone to take
them back to the Azores, perhaps there is some message here.

Old 20-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Mike

"Colin Hammond" wrote in message
In 1973 I brought back some bulbs from the Azores, I think they are

locally
known as Bella Donna. I planted them against a south facing wall and in

1976
they flowered, remember 1976! Since then nothing except lots of lush green
growth every year even though I moved them to a greenhouse 20 years ago.
When I see them struggling every year I wish I could find someone to take
them back to the Azores, perhaps there is some message here.

:-((

Oh Dear :-((

That's our first stop!!

Not a very good omen.

Mike

Old 20-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
(Nick Maclaren) writes:
| In article ,
| p00kie wrote:
|
| Some plants ... not all and some have restrictions ...

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/impexp.htm
| Bear in mind that these rules are in place for many good reasons.
|
| And some bad ones. Which is better than for animal products, where
| the reasons (and rules) are almost entirely bad - indeed, actually
| malicious.
|
| I have my doubts that items 16 and especially 17 of schedule 3 are
| really relevant to the UK, but otherwise the documents look sane.
| NOTHING can justify rules such as banning private imports of over
| (say) 100 grammes of smoked meat while leaving smaller quantities
| and commercial imports uncontrolled.

Upon checking, that is demented. Item 17 is clearly aimed at
bayoud disease, the international recommendation says that infected
date palms and henna should not be imported into date-producing
countries, so the UK has banned importing date palms but not henna.

Still, it isn't a significant issue, as few people are likely to
want to import plants of either, neither is easy to grow in the UK,
and we most definitely do NOT have commercial crops of either :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Mike

Upon checking, that is demented. Item 17 is clearly aimed at
bayoud disease, the international recommendation says that infected
date palms and henna should not be imported into date-producing
countries, so the UK has banned importing date palms but not henna.

Still, it isn't a significant issue, as few people are likely to
want to import plants of either, neither is easy to grow in the UK,
and we most definitely do NOT have commercial crops of either :-)

Might have tried a Date Palm :-))

Maybe a couple just far enough apart to sling a hammock ;-))

Glad of the warning.

Mike