Old 28-01-2003, 09:14 AM
jrbuk

Default spear and jackson stainless steel spade

For the second time, I've experienced my spade snapping at the "weld"
between shaft and blade. The first happened just about the first time I
used the spade. It was replaced after inspection by Spear and Jackson. Now
the same thing has happened to the replacement. I used it for all of last
season but first time out in 2003 it just snapped under really not very much
load.

Has any one else had such experience? Does any one know of a thoroughly
reliable stainless steel spade? I see lots about these days quite cheap.
However, they all seem to be of the same design with a small V shaped point
of attachment between blade and shaft which is seemingly secured (if like
mine) only along its edges. i.e by not many square millimetres of "weld".

What I really want is the traditional one piece, weldless design of blade.

My broken spade has a ten year guarantee so either I've been very unlucky or
I can expect several more replacements over the coming years. Poor Spear
and Jackson!........and I could do without the hassle as well!

Old 28-01-2003, 03:31 PM
cormaic

'Twas Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:14:38 -0000, when "jrbuk"
enriched all our lives with these worthy thoughts:

Bulldog do one - see www.greenham.com

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk
Old 28-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:31:18 +0000, cormaic
wrote:

'Twas Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:14:38 -0000, when "jrbuk"
enriched all our lives with these worthy thoughts:

Has any one else had such experience? Does any one know of a thoroughly
reliable stainless steel spade?

Bulldog do one - see www.greenham.com

I use the Bulldog SS fork - it's the first fork I've had in ten years
that hasn't snapped or suffered from bent tines. Nice and light too,
with its plastic handle.
Haven't tried the spade, but will do when the handle on my steel one
gives out ( a couple more months out in the rain should do it! )

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 28-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Scott L. Hadley

" Perhaps I'm missing something: Is it that important that the spade be
stainless steel? I believe stainless is more difficult to weld, which may
be the problem.
....Just a thought from a colonist, surrounded by 3-4 feet (1-1.3meters)

of
snow and suffering from advanced cabin fever. The only treatment is

purely
symptomatic- brightly colored garden catalogs.

-1F this morning; warmest in several. You think the Scots are cold?

As this colonist in Maine learned from mentors from England back in the
early 80's: I expect the entire metal portion, regardless of metal type, to
be ONE piece of metal, with no welds. Then, as far as attaching the handle
goes, there are only two ways: solid socket or solid strapped. The OP's
spade may have been one of these two good attachment types, but I have the
idea from reading his post the metal portion was formed from more than one
piece, thus welded. I hope I am reading this correctly.

As I have earned much of my living over 20 years weilding spades and forks,
I have to conclude that, while solid socket and solid strapped are the only
two ways to attach a wooden handle to a single spade or fork blade, (since
no part of the wooden handle touches the earth,) it is probably the solid
strapped attachment which is best. I once broke a good heavy solid socket
digging fork of English origin, but at the point where the wood disappears
into the socket of steel, and it may have been my fault. My great
grandfather's solid strapped spade, however is at least 100 years old and
saw me through the 80's and early 90's in my landscape gardening career, and
I use it for some things still, but I have mostly retired it out of respect
for its beauty and as a family heirloom of sorts. A second solid strapped
spade came to me thru a yard sale, and is my regular digging and planting
companion.

The winter: I think where I live on the coast of Maine, we have less snow
than you but it may be colder here than there. About 2 feet of snow, and
lower temperatures than yours overall. Eventually, will put pictures up on
our personal web page for snow-starved folks to view.

Scott L. Hadley

Old 28-01-2003, 10:50 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Gary Woods contains these words:

"jrbuk" wrote:

Does any one know of a thoroughly
reliable stainless steel spade?

Perhaps I'm missing something: Is it that important that the spade be
stainless steel? I believe stainless is more difficult to weld, which may
be the problem.

I've had a "regular" steel one for years, indifferently maintained, and
rust isn't a problem.

The advantage of stainless steel tools is that less earth/mud/clay
sticks to the sleek surface and it slips through earth/turf more easily.
Useful if you're gardening on heavy soil.

Janet.

Old 28-01-2003, 11:26 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"cormaic" wrote in message ...

Has any one else had such experience? Does any one know of a thoroughly
reliable stainless steel spade?

Bulldog do one - see www.greenham.com

I know they used to make one in the UK 'cause I've got one and a matching
fork. Although presents I do know they were very expensive, approx. £100
each..
I thought my fork had been stolen a couple of years ago and phoned Bulldog
to ask about the cost of replacement, they said it was no longer made.
(Thinking I had left it , another allotment holder had hidden it!)

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 28-01-2003, 11:28 PM
jrbuk

"Scott L. Hadley" wrote in message

[...]

You are absolutely correct. The "frog" where the shaft joins the blade, is
(was) attached minimally by a slender weld along the edges of a "V" shape,
with a smooth coat of stainless steel hiding all. Although the spade bears
the traditional English name, I have my doubts whether it is home produced!
Maybe I am wrong. I hope not!

I would say though that the spade was a delight to use, while it was in one
piece ; )

We hardly ever get snow or even frost here these days. Not like when we
were kids!... Just rain again today ; (

Old 29-01-2003, 09:36 PM
don

"jrbuk" wrote in message
[...]

I think you made the mistake of assuming that stainless steel gardening
implements should be actually used --they are just for show.
Stainless steel does not offer any advatage --it tends to be brittle, bends
quite easily and in the case of spades is liable to split.

I speak from bitter experience --and a somewhat depleted wallet

Old 29-01-2003, 11:09 PM
jrbuk

"don" wrote in message

I think you made the mistake of assuming that stainless steel gardening
implements should be actually used --they are just for show.
Stainless steel does not offer any advatage --it tends to be brittle,

bends
quite easily and in the case of spades is liable to split.

I speak from bitter experience --and a somewhat depleted wallet

I can't quite agree that stainless steel offers no advantage. If the soil
is at all sticky then stainless wins hands down over "regular" steel.....as
I found today when I was back to using my trusty 20 yr old Spear and Jackson
traditional steel spade! If welding proves to be such a problem then why
don't they use rivets? I have a great one piece s/s trowel which again
stays clean in sticky soil conditions.

What I really don't understand is why S&J should put their good name to such
non-durable product.

Old 30-01-2003, 03:40 PM
cormaic

'Twas Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:09:22 -0000, when "jrbuk"
enriched all our lives with these worthy thoughts:

I can't quite agree that stainless steel offers no advantage. If the soil
is at all sticky then stainless wins hands down over "regular" steel.....as
I found today when I was back to using my trusty 20 yr old Spear and Jackson
traditional steel spade!

So how come all us builders never use SS spades? Because they
are poncey, over-priced and we'd get laughed off site if we turned up
with one. ;~)

A spade that experiences daily use is no more clayophilic than
a SS spade, and a rusty spade is hard work in any ground.

Old 30-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:40:20 +0000, cormaic
wrote:

'Twas Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:09:22 -0000, when "jrbuk"
enriched all our lives with these worthy thoughts:

I can't quite agree that stainless steel offers no advantage. If the soil
is at all sticky then stainless wins hands down over "regular" steel.....as
I found today when I was back to using my trusty 20 yr old Spear and Jackson
traditional steel spade!

So how come all us builders never use SS spades? Because they
are poncey, over-priced and we'd get laughed off site if we turned up
with one. ;~)

I thought all you builders used shovels

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 31-01-2003, 10:18 PM
Paul Moynagh

In article , "don" wrote:
I think you made the mistake of assuming that stainless steel gardening
implements should be actually used --they are just for show.
Stainless steel does not offer any advatage --it tends to be brittle,
bends
quite easily and in the case of spades is liable to split.

Not the stainless steel Spear & Jackson 'Neverbend' fork and spade my wife
inherited from her mother who was given them as a wedding present in 1938.
Used vigourously for over 60 years and they still look as good as new. They
have fully lived up to their brand name, not a dent nor a prong out of line
- nothing like them made now.

What goes are the handles; probably from my (and my father-in-law before me)
abusing them, the lady's sized narrower than normal spade in particular I
find useful for various 'macho' jobs. Anyone know a supplier of good quality
smaller than normal ('lady's size') wooden spade / fork handles? I have had
to adapt 'male' size ones which spoils their appearance, and to some degree,
their 'balance'.

Paul Moynagh