Old 21-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Swiss Chard?

How long can you leave Swiss Chard in the ground?

How long can you keep cropping it for?

I planted some early last year and it is till cropping, do I need
to plant more?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Old 21-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Kay

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

How long can you leave Swiss Chard in the ground?

How long can you keep cropping it for?

I planted some early last year and it is till cropping, do I need
to plant more?

Probably. In its second year it produces flower stems which are too
tough to be edible. You can keep taking these out, and pulling more
leaves, but you will lose the battle by midsummer. The determination to
flower increases, and the leaves that are produced get smaller and
smaller.
--
Kay

Old 21-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:14:01 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

How long can you leave Swiss Chard in the ground?

How long can you keep cropping it for?

I planted some early last year and it is till cropping, do I need
to plant more?

Once it is into its second year it will start to go to seed. You can
keep cropping but it will send up flowering shoots. Sow some seed now
and you may be able to keep picking the old ones till the new is
ready. Mine have started to make flowering stems now, but I have
picked them off and will cook the new shoots.

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Kay

In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes
Is Swiss chard the one that's related to the beetroot, or the other which
looks more like a brassica?

It's related to beetroot and has a broad central white rib.
--
Kay

Old 22-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes
Is Swiss chard the one that's related to the beetroot, or the

other
which looks more like a brassica?

It's related to beetroot and has a broad central white rib.

I like the midrib cooked separately, but my children always resisted
it, though to my mind it's one of the blandest of vegetables. Is this
a common experience?

--
Mike.

Old 22-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Mike Lyle wrote:
Kay wrote:
In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes
Is Swiss chard the one that's related to the beetroot, or the other
which looks more like a brassica?

It's related to beetroot and has a broad central white rib.

I like the midrib cooked separately, but my children always resisted
it, though to my mind it's one of the blandest of vegetables. Is this
a common experience?

I've never eaten it - I was thinkin of red chard, which is one of my
favourite salad veggies. It looks like beetroot leaves - bright green with a
cerise stem.

Swiss chard NewShmoo Edible Gardening 0 28-06-2011 07:28 PM
Swiss Chard bolting : Still edible ? MrMe Edible Gardening 13 30-05-2008 02:17 AM
swiss chard cricket Edible Gardening 1 13-07-2005 02:35 AM
Seeds/Swiss chard SugarChile Edible Gardening 3 22-04-2004 07:02 AM
Swiss Chard & Beets turning brown Gary Gardening 4 21-05-2003 05:56 AM