Old 29-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Katharine Mill

Default wysteria roots - can I lop them at will?

Newbie and regular lurker writes:

Hello everyone. I moved into a house in June with a small garden (7
metres by 6) overrun with wysteria (gorgeous but too much of it and
blocking many windows) and ivy. I've ripped out the ivy and pruned
wysteria severely above ground and up wall up to 25 ft but now want to
start digging over ground with view to planting other things,
including maybe a bit of turf. Trouble is, I keep coming across strong
roots that look to be coming from direction of the gnarled wysteria
trunk. Can I just saw off anything I come across below ground (say 4
foot away from trunk and beyond?)
Thanks in advance - and for all the other ideas and advice I've been
reading here over past few months!
Katharine

in Brussels, Belgium - but within urg climate spec, I think

if you can grow them there yo can grow them anywhere! Jonno[_13_] Australia 0 21-09-2007 01:13 AM
Mature palm care - Which bits to prune / lop specialbeat Gardening 11 25-08-2007 03:04 AM
wysteria tree wyn North Carolina 0 08-07-2003 06:56 PM
Advice sought on employing tree surgeon to lop Leylandi Simon United Kingdom 1 18-03-2003 06:08 PM
wysteria won't bloom Karen Corbin Gardening 3 23-02-2003 05:03 PM