Old 30-01-2003, 11:25 PM
will

Default Wooden bricks for raised beds?

I saw something on a gardening programme today which interested me.
Someone made a raised bed with wooden bricks. They had holes in them
through which pegs were hammered to keep them together. I wondered if
anyone knows who supplies them, or has any experience of using them?

Thanks, Will
Old 31-01-2003, 12:51 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , will
writes
I saw something on a gardening programme today which interested me.
Someone made a raised bed with wooden bricks. They had holes in them
through which pegs were hammered to keep them together. I wondered if
anyone knows who supplies them, or has any experience of using them?

Jackons Fencing do something like this.

http://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/

Called Jak-link. not on their website, but you can see a piccie if you
download the following pdf:

http://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/ga...capetimber.pdf

Or get hold of the 'good Fencing guide' which is their wooden fencing
catalogue.

AFAICT it doesn't make a solid 'wall', I guess you put a membrane
behind? I've thought about using them in the garden for a project, looks
quick to install.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 31-01-2003, 09:10 AM
PaulK

In message , will
writes
I saw something on a gardening programme today which interested me.
Someone made a raised bed with wooden bricks. They had holes in them
through which pegs were hammered to keep them together. I wondered if
anyone knows who supplies them, or has any experience of using them?

DesignWood Landscape timbers. Contact

or
MCI Timply ltd
6 Culver court
Malting Lane
Much Hadham
Hertfordshire
SG10 6AN

these are shaped thus: (I hope this works)

Side view:

x xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx x
x xxxxxxxxx

and are linked by pegs or fixed by stakes through the holes to form a solid
wall. Ends are radiused to allow curved structures

Not cheap, but easy and safe DIY low retaining wall for raised beds etc.

pk

Old 31-01-2003, 12:20 PM
will

Jackons Fencing do something like this.

http://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/

Thanks for the link but this wasn't quite what I meant. The wall I saw
was made up of fairly solid looking wooden blocks the shape of a house
brick but around twice the size, and they fitted together quite
snugly. Mind you, the 'slug zoo' argument is a bit worrying...

Will

Old 31-01-2003, 01:10 PM
cormaic

'Twas Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:10:38 +0000 (UTC), when "PaulK"
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

Not cheap, but easy and safe DIY low retaining wall for raised beds etc.

I wouldn't say they are "not cheap": I'd say they are damned
expensive for what they are!

DesignWood sent us some samples 18 months or so ago, and
they're handy if you're the sort of bod who's forever changing
layouts, but for permanent features, such as raised beds, I can't
justify the price.

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk
Old 31-01-2003, 01:22 PM
Martin Sykes

"will" wrote in message
om...
I saw something on a gardening programme today which interested me.
Someone made a raised bed with wooden bricks. They had holes in them
through which pegs were hammered to keep them together. I wondered if
anyone knows who supplies them, or has any experience of using them?

Thanks, Will

I think it was a programme with Joe Swift presenting. a search for 'Joe
Swift' and 'wooden' brought up these which look about right: It was for a
gardener's world episode from Moseley Garden

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/tv_ra...orld/moseley_g
arden/suppliers.shtml

Wooden 'Lego' brick-style blocks and Raised planter
For free leaflets and details of stockists please contact:
Munroe Sawmills
Dingwall, Ross-shire
Scotland IV15 9UN
Tel: 0800 389 1420 (Woodblocx helpline)
Website: www.woodblocx.co.uk

Martin

Old 31-01-2003, 01:43 PM
PaulK

"cormaic" wrote in message
'Twas Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:10:38 +0000 (UTC), when "PaulK"
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

Not cheap, but easy and safe DIY low retaining wall for raised beds etc.

I wouldn't say they are "not cheap": I'd say they are damned
expensive for what they are!

DesignWood sent us some samples 18 months or so ago, and
they're handy if you're the sort of bod who's forever changing
layouts, but for permanent features, such as raised beds, I can't
justify the price.

Commercially you are quite correct. No way I would specify for a landscaper
to install, but for DiY they are easy to install with a great look. If you
can build lego, you can install these or the Woodblocx (oops, just had to
correct a typo extra "o" you might have regarded as approptiate!)

Old 01-02-2003, 12:22 AM
will

I think it was the 'woodblocx' product, and I've just visited their
website and it SEEMS that a bed that's roughly equivalent to a
rectangular, 6 railway-sleeper bed (ie 2 along the long side and 1 on
each end) would be somewhere between £400 and £500, depending on
whether the wall is 2 or 3 bricks high. The railway sleeper option
would be about £110 by comparison.

I should say that our preferred option is still probably to have no
'wall' at all. Not that we don't like sleepers, but we want awkward
shaped beds that don't really fit in with the sleeper dimensions. The
bricks looked like another option but at that price, no thanks -
especially as we are planning at least 3 beds.

As always, thanks very much for the info, everyone.

Will
Old 09-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
I think it was the 'woodblocx' product, and I've just visited their
website and it SEEMS that a bed that's roughly equivalent to a
rectangular, 6 railway-sleeper bed (ie 2 along the long side and 1 on
each end) would be somewhere between £400 and £500, depending on
whether the wall is 2 or 3 bricks high. The railway sleeper option
would be about £110 by comparison.

I should say that our preferred option is still probably to have no
'wall' at all. Not that we don't like sleepers, but we want awkward
shaped beds that don't really fit in with the sleeper dimensions. The
bricks looked like another option but at that price, no thanks -
especially as we are planning at least 3 beds.

As always, thanks very much for the info, everyone.

Will
Hello

Just for anyone looking at this forum now. WoodBlocX has changed and is available direct from the manufacturer now and this makes it much more affordable.

I did the calculation for the size above of 5 meters by 2.6 meters and it is now less than £300. This is delivered to your door and includes all components.

You can also build it yourself with no heavy lifting.

details are here

WoodBlocX

Cheers

Henry