GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sowed grass seed, when will grass appear? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/93018-sowed-grass-seed-when-will-grass-appear.html)

MM 25-04-2005 12:28 PM

Sowed grass seed, when will grass appear?

It has been 12 days since I sowed the lawn. I can't see *any* signs
yet of grass poking up. I have got down on my hands and knees and
peered at the ground in several places. There are one or two shoots
that /could/ be grass, but equally might be weeds. How long does it
take? I am worried that it's all been a waste of time.

MM

Dwayne 25-04-2005 01:10 PM

Have you watered the new grass lightly every day? The seeds cant be allowed
to dry out while germinating. Otherwise I would give them another few days,
and if nothing shows, replant.

Dwayne

Mike Lyle 25-04-2005 03:26 PM

MM wrote:
It has been 12 days since I sowed the lawn. I can't see *any* signs
yet of grass poking up. I have got down on my hands and knees and
peered at the ground in several places. There are one or two shoots
that /could/ be grass, but equally might be weeds. How long does it
take? I am worried that it's all been a waste of time.

They'll probably be along in a few days. The shoots are often very
dark in colour at first, and so nearly invisible. Try running your
hand over a patch about half an inch off the ground to see if you
feel little sharpish things: if you do, they're most unlikely to be
anything but grass.

Dwayne's right about periods of dryness, but most should have
survived. Drops in temperature slow things down, too.

--
Mike.

MM 25-04-2005 06:29 PM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:26:46 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

MM wrote:
It has been 12 days since I sowed the lawn. I can't see *any* signs
yet of grass poking up. I have got down on my hands and knees and
peered at the ground in several places. There are one or two shoots
that /could/ be grass, but equally might be weeds. How long does it
take? I am worried that it's all been a waste of time.

They'll probably be along in a few days. The shoots are often very
dark in colour at first, and so nearly invisible. Try running your
hand over a patch about half an inch off the ground to see if you
feel little sharpish things: if you do, they're most unlikely to be
anything but grass.

Dwayne's right about periods of dryness, but most should have
survived. Drops in temperature slow things down, too.

I think I may have been a little lax in the watering, but just now,
when I was giving the 'lawn' another water, I did notice for the first
time several shoots undoubtedly of grass, yippee! Very patchy, and
just a very few shoots, but summat's happening at last. I think I'm
going to need to water every several hours, as the full sun dries out
the surface in no time.

MM

Klara 25-04-2005 10:21 PM

In message , MM
writes
I think I may have been a little lax in the watering, but just now,
when I was giving the 'lawn' another water, I did notice for the first
time several shoots undoubtedly of grass, yippee! Very patchy, and just
a very few shoots, but summat's happening at last. I think I'm going to
need to water every several hours, as the full sun dries out the
surface in no time.

Don't do that - you want the roots to grow strongly downward, and they
won't if the water is only near the surface. A good soak every 2-3 days
should do it...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

pied piper 26-04-2005 09:53 AM

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , MM
writes
I think I may have been a little lax in the watering, but just now, when I
was giving the 'lawn' another water, I did notice for the first time
several shoots undoubtedly of grass, yippee! Very patchy, and just a very
few shoots, but summat's happening at last. I think I'm going to need to
water every several hours, as the full sun dries out the surface in no
time.

Don't do that - you want the roots to grow strongly downward, and they
won't if the water is only near the surface. A good soak every 2-3 days
should do it...

--

rubbish you need to water every evening keep the soil damp dont just flood
it

Mike Lyle 26-04-2005 02:26 PM

pied piper wrote:
"Klara" wrote in message
In message , MM
writes
I think I may have been a little lax in the watering, but just

now,
when I was giving the 'lawn' another water, I did notice for the
first time several shoots undoubtedly of grass, yippee! Very
patchy, and just a very few shoots, but summat's happening at

last.
I think I'm going to need to water every several hours, as the

full
sun dries out the surface in no time.

Don't do that - you want the roots to grow strongly downward, and
they won't if the water is only near the surface. A good soak

every
2-3 days should do it...

--

rubbish you need to water every evening keep the soil damp dont

just
flood it

Doesn't it depend very much on local weather and soil conditions? I
don't think I ever bothered watering grass seed at all in West Wales,
and the way the weather is here in Chelt I don't think I would
either. Except in a real drought, I don't think Klara's advice is
rubbish at all; even without any rainfall, wouldn't it have to be
pretty hot to make it necessary to water every day?

--
Mike.

[H]omer 27-04-2005 01:39 AM

MM wrote:
It has been 12 days since I sowed the lawn. I can't see *any* signs
yet of grass poking up.

Don't sweat it. I sowed some leftover (supposedly pre-germinated) grass
seeds on to a bare patch of dusty soil, over the back of my fence.

That was four *weeks* ago; haven't touched it since, and we haven't had
much rain lately either.

I just noticed today, that little fescue shoots are starting to appear.

--
[H]omer

Problem with cats in your garden?
Try this: http://img169.exs.cx/img169/6382/kitten8va.jpg