Old 31-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Got my seed potatoes - now what?

Hi All,

Having been very impressed with my first ever potatoe crop in my first
year of kitchen gardening last year, I've bought myself some proper seed
potatoes (last year I grew Supermarket specials as a total experiment).

I know I have to chit the seed potatoes, and then plant them. But, as I've
got 2nd earlies (sante) and maincrop (Golden Wonder thanks to the
husband), I'm wondering if I need to chit them at different times, and
plant them at different times? I'm planning to chit the potatoes in my
unheated conservatory.

I'm in extreme N. Wales, about 3 miles off the Dee, with a heavy
stoney-ish soil with clay sub-soil. I'd welcome advice on when to chit and
plant. Last year I planted at Easter - but easter is nearly a month later
this year! Plus I'm not sure thats best for the earlies.

Any advice gratefully welcomed.

TIA, Sarah
Old 31-01-2003, 11:46 PM
Liveforthelittlejoys

You still chit them at the same time and the experts say they are planted at
the same time, the only difference is the length of time fo maturity. In
practice the lates are usually planted later but as long as you can cover
against late frosts they should be ok

Sarah Dale wrote:
: Hi All,
:

Old 05-02-2003, 11:47 PM
Trevor Appleton

When I've tried chitting them in a cool conservatory (that actually had a
radiator that came on an hour twice a day) they still hadn't sprouted in
May. Nowadays I chit them in my office. Temperature 15-18 C SE facing
windowsill

---