Old 26-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Sacha

Default Rhodo 'Lady Alice Fitzwilliam'

I spent some time hunting this down and finally found it. It's a large
Rhododendron when fully grown, but our new 'baby' has flowered prolifically
at about 2' high and the scent.....! If you can find it, I can't recommend
it highly enough. It really is an absolute knock out.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Sacha

On 26/4/05 23:44, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I spent some time hunting this down and finally found it. It's a large
Rhododendron when fully grown, but our new 'baby' has flowered prolifically
at about 2' high and the scent.....! If you can find it, I can't recommend
it highly enough. It really is an absolute knock out.

It's fabulous. A friend of mine has one in a big pot which lives in a
cool GH in winter. When its in flower she brings it into the drawing
room and invites people over for swooning-with-delight :-)

Last year at Brodick castle, the garden volunteers discovered and
excavated from the dense undergrowth, a new (old) section of woodland
garden, built a path and steps through it and planted up the cleared
area with scented rhododendrons. It's nickname is the secret scented
garden. Just about to start flowering. One of my other favourites is
General George, big white scented flowers and hardier than LAF.

We managed to get 3 of LAF and have planted one in what is a sheltered spot
- we hope - are giving one to a friend nearby and one to my son in Jersey.
I hope that at least one or two of these three will survive so that we can
all take cuttings and keep it going. Although Jersey can get frosts,
they're pretty rare, so with luck it will be safe there, at least. We have
a rhododendron walk here that Edward Hyams planted originally. Inevitably,
some of the older shrubs have died so replacing them with highly scented
ones is my ambition. I'll look for General George and would be very
grateful for any other suggestions.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)