GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Delphiniums......... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/93095-delphiniums.html)

KJAYW 26-04-2005 11:04 PM

Delphiniums.........

I have beeb trying to germinate Delphinium seed in my greenhouse for
last 6 weeks - still no sign of germination. Using potting compost &
keeping warm & moist.
Has anyone got any advice or suggestions-are these 'difficult' plants to
grow?

Thanks

Kevin

Emrys Davies 27-04-2005 12:25 AM

"KJAYW" wrote in message
I have beeb trying to germinate Delphinium seed in my greenhouse for
last 6 weeks - still no sign of germination. Using potting compost &
keeping warm & moist.
Has anyone got any advice or suggestions-are these 'difficult' plants

grow?

Thanks

Kevin

This site will give you an insight into the difficulties of germinating
delphiniums.

http://www.delphinium.co.nz/Germination.htm

For more information go to www.google.com and search using:
germinating delphiniums.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Blair 27-04-2005 06:05 AM

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"KJAYW" wrote in message
I have beeb trying to germinate Delphinium seed in my greenhouse for
last 6 weeks - still no sign of germination. Using potting compost &
keeping warm & moist.
Has anyone got any advice or suggestions-are these 'difficult' plants

grow?

Thanks

Kevin

This site will give you an insight into the difficulties of germinating
delphiniums.

http://www.delphinium.co.nz/Germination.htm

For more information go to www.google.com and search using:
germinating delphiniums.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

I have two delphinium plants which have seeded from the main plant without
me trying!
Blair

[email protected] 27-04-2005 07:50 AM

quote " Using potting compost &
keeping warm & moist. "

Not a good idea to use potting compost for seeds as it has too many
nutrients, should use proper seed compost which has the correct
nutrient levels.

Mike

nambucca 27-04-2005 09:01 AM

"KJAYW" wrote in message
I have beeb trying to germinate Delphinium seed in my greenhouse for
last 6 weeks - still no sign of germination. Using potting compost &
keeping warm & moist.
Has anyone got any advice or suggestions-are these 'difficult' plants to
grow?

Thanks

Kevin

Delphiniums are the EASIEST plants to grow ........seed germinates in 2
weeks in warm conditions .......and seedlings rapidly mature when pricked
out ......you can even have blooms in the first year

They love dry sandy soil and full sun

nambucca 27-04-2005 09:03 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
quote " Using potting compost &
keeping warm & moist. "

Not a good idea to use potting compost for seeds as it has too many
nutrients, should use proper seed compost which has the correct
nutrient levels.

Mike

Want to bet ?........i use my own fine 2 yr old garden compost which has
been 50% horse manure at its start for all my seeds

pammyT 27-04-2005 12:08 PM

"KJAYW" wrote in message
I have beeb trying to germinate Delphinium seed in my greenhouse for
last 6 weeks - still no sign of germination. Using potting compost &
keeping warm & moist.
Has anyone got any advice or suggestions-are these 'difficult' plants to
grow?

They can't be cos I am growing loads. Used normal potting compost in my
aviary block as I don't have a greenhouse. Loads coming up.