Old 01-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Tim

Default Recommended Secateurs ?

Hi folks

Can anyone recommend some decent secateur makes ?
I've found several sites selling "Felco" Secateurs, but wondered if they are
any good ?
I have previously bought cheapo-ones, but they are, quite frankly, rubbish,
so I have decided to invest in some good reliable ones.

Can anyone advise on a sensible price too ?
The prices vary a lot, but www.ukoutdoorstore.co.uk seem to be the cheapest
I've found.

Thanks in advance
Timothy D.

Old 01-02-2003, 09:58 PM
JimM

This months Garden Answers has a full test of secateurs in all price ranges,
but Felco seem to be among the best out there. I got my No2s from this
company www.frostproof.com they are based in the states but even with
shipping they were still the cheapest I could find (typical of rip off
Britain).

HTH

Jim

.. .

Old 02-02-2003, 12:53 PM
Jim W

Tim wrote:

Hi folks

Can anyone recommend some decent secateur makes ?
I've found several sites selling "Felco" Secateurs, but wondered if they are
any good ?
I have previously bought cheapo-ones, but they are, quite frankly, rubbish,
so I have decided to invest in some good reliable ones.

Can anyone advise on a sensible price too ?
The prices vary a lot, but www.ukoutdoorstore.co.uk seem to be the cheapest
I've found.

Thanks in advance
Timothy D.

Felco Secatuers are the industry standard in 'snips'. Swiss made,
excellent quality control, and you can get spares. Dsitributed by Burton
McColl in the UK. *Sometimes* getting spares in the UK can be a pain, it
varies.
They are pricier than other brands simply because they are designed to
last a lifetime. Do shop around, as with all things some retailers are
out to rip you off!-)
//
Jim
Old 02-02-2003, 02:13 PM
Chris J Dixon

Jim W wrote:

Felco Secatuers are the industry standard in 'snips'. Swiss made,
excellent quality control, and you can get spares. Dsitributed by Burton
McColl in the UK. *Sometimes* getting spares in the UK can be a pain, it
varies.
They are pricier than other brands simply because they are designed to
last a lifetime. Do shop around, as with all things some retailers are
out to rip you off!-)
//

I agreeing with all you say, and have had a pair for 20 years or
so.

However, whilst looking on a market stall for a cheap pair for
somebody who would only be using them occasionally, I found an
unbranded copy at GBP2. I know that their quality is probably
suspect, but if they last a couple of years, the overall cost
would be much the same.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Tim" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend some decent secateur makes ?
I've found several sites selling "Felco" Secateurs, but wondered if they

are
any good ?
I have previously bought cheapo-ones, but they are, quite frankly,

rubbish,
so I have decided to invest in some good reliable ones.

Felco are about as good as it gets, made to last a lifetime with spares
available too (like new blades). As used by all at RHS Wisley etc.... ***

I found mine cheaper down in a GC in Cornwall than here in the SE. Shop
around.

*** funny story... Talking to a friend who works at Wisley he told me one of
the Korean students sharpened her Felco's with a saw file after sitting in
on a saw sharpening lecture! New blades please!
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 02-02-2003, 10:40 PM
Derryl Killan

Hi Timothy - You can't go wrong with Felco No. 2 shears. Also you can get
parts should you need them. They are expensive though and worth every
pence. I've had mine for 30 years.

Derryl - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Old 02-02-2003, 11:41 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , JimM
writes
This months Garden Answers has a full test of secateurs in all price ranges,
but Felco seem to be among the best out there. I got my No2s from this
company www.frostproof.com

Yep, I bought some Felco's for me and some for my parents from
Frostproof, recommend them.

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 03-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Derek Turner

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 20:58:44 -0000, "JimM"
wrote:

This months Garden Answers has a full test of secateurs in all price ranges,
but Felco seem to be among the best out there. I got my No2s from this
company www.frostproof.com they are based in the states but even with
shipping they were still the cheapest I could find (typical of rip off
Britain).

Hmmm..... USD$55 including (surface, and therefore slow) shipping plus
a possible tax liability at this end. As compared with £26.95 at
www.outdoorstore.co.uk including v.a.t. and 1st class recorded
delivery. I just ordered from the latter!

--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Derek Turner

OOPS! make that www.ukoutdoorstore.co.uk like the OP said!

Old 03-02-2003, 05:26 PM
david

If you go on holiday to the continent why not have a look at the tools over
there, I buy quite often and find that I pay between 1/3rd and 1/2 of the
price here.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 03-02-2003, 09:01 PM
JimM

Don't want to be too pedantic but aren't the £26.95 jobbies the No4
'Standard' Felco's, and not the No2 original model'standard model' They are
presumably of a slightly lower quality although I'm sure they are still
pretty good.
The Frostproof site is misleading with their shipping prices, if you contact
them they will ship for US$10.
Therefore the No4 model from Frostproof would be US$35.90 including shipping
which is roughly £22 and the No2 original model would be US$40.90 or £25
Still haven't found anywhere cheaper and my garden can wait the extra couple
of days.

Regards

Jim

Old 03-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Derek Turner
writes
wrote:

I got my No2s from this
company www.frostproof.com they are based in the states but even with
shipping they were still the cheapest I could find (typical of rip off

Hmmm..... USD$55 including (surface, and therefore slow) shipping plus
a possible tax liability at this end. As compared with £26.95 at
www.outdoorstore.co.uk including v.a.t. and 1st class recorded
delivery. I just ordered from the latter!

Very sensible, it's good to see they are available in the uk at more
sensible prices. - though they seem extra reduced for January.

However when I bought some Fleco no. 2 a few years ago, no where in the
UK seemed to sell them for much less than the RRP of about GBP 38,
Frostproof worked out at around GBP 25-28 IIRC including tax etc.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Secateurs [email protected] United Kingdom 43 24-02-2004 01:59 PM
Secateurs [email protected] United Kingdom 0 14-02-2004 12:27 AM
Felco secateurs Robert United Kingdom 8 03-08-2003 10:42 AM
secateurs Derryl Killan United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 07:20 PM
secateurs Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 11:14 AM