Old 29-04-2005, 08:08 PM
CK

Default Watching Gardener's World on Friday in Wales

Hi.

Though the information may be wrong, I still like to watch the 'Gardener's
World' on Friday night. However, we only have BBC Two Wales or BBC 2W but
not BBC Two in our TV. It happens very often that the program of 'Scrum V
Live' instead. In the past, they would delay the program at 21:00.
However, in these two weeks, the program is only repeated on Sunday late
afternoon.

I am very unhappy with the arrangement. If it is a sunny weekend, we may
spend that time in the garden or it will be our dinner time. Besides, it
will be too late to watch the part of 'jobs in the weekend' as the program
will be shown at the end of weekend already! Does anyone know how to watch
BBC 2 in Wales? I really don't understand why they cannot have Scrum in
either BBC 2W or BBC Two Wales but not both, so I can still watch 'A year of
Kew', 'How to be a gardener' which will not be shown if there is Scrum, or
'Gardener's World' on Friday night.

With regards,
CK from Aberystwyth

Old 29-04-2005, 08:12 PM
davek

Does anyone know how to watch
BBC 2 in Wales? I really don't understand why they cannot have Scrum in
either BBC 2W or BBC Two Wales but not both, so I can still watch 'A year
of Kew', 'How to be a gardener' which will not be shown if there is Scrum,
or 'Gardener's World' on Friday night.

Do you receive Freeview there? Saw an ad the other day, unit for about
£35.(TJ Hughes I think).
Or cable?
DaveK.

Old 29-04-2005, 08:28 PM
CK

Hi DaveK,

Thank you for your response.

We got a digital box, my husband said it is the Freeview. However, when we
set the TV channels, BBC Two had not been shown. My husband pays only the
TV license but not subscribing to any other TV services.

With regards,
CK from Aberystwyth

Old 29-04-2005, 08:48 PM
davek

"CK" wrote in message
Hi DaveK,

Thank you for your response.

We got a digital box, my husband said it is the Freeview. However, when
we set the TV channels, BBC Two had not been shown. My husband pays only
the TV license but not subscribing to any other TV services.

Diabolical innit? 'Freeview' then they invent a scheme where you have to pay
again.
Other possibilities:
a: Get a friend in England to record on tape or dvd and send it to you.(Aldi
selling dvd recorder this week at £109. Works too).
b: TV card in your pc,-if you have broadband.
c: Move house.
DaveK.

Old 29-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Mike Lyle

davek wrote:
"CK" wrote in message
Hi DaveK,

Thank you for your response.

We got a digital box, my husband said it is the Freeview.

However,
when we set the TV channels, BBC Two had not been shown. My

husband
pays only the TV license but not subscribing to any other TV
services.

Diabolical innit? 'Freeview' then they invent a scheme where you

have
to pay again.
Other possibilities:
a: Get a friend in England to record on tape or dvd and send it to
you.(Aldi selling dvd recorder this week at £109. Works too).
b: TV card in your pc,-if you have broadband.
c: Move house.

Dyna trieni! But in some parts of Wales you can tune a spare channel
to one of the transmitters intended for parts of England. Friends
annoyed me considerably when I lived in W Wales because they could
get both S4C and Channel 4, while I couldn't because I lived on the
other side of the hill. Aber seems like a bad place for that kind of
trick, because of the mountains, and your aerial's probably aligned
wrongly for it, but it would be worth fiddling round on a spare
channel just to see if you can get an English flavour of BBC2.

--
Mike.

Old 29-04-2005, 11:48 PM
CK

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Since we are living on the other side of the mountain, we can't receive the
signal from England.

I had emailed a complaint to BBC about the unfair treatment to Scrum fans
and garden fans.

With regards,
CK from Aberystwyth

Old 03-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Dave

The message
from "CK" contains these words:

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Since we are living on the other side of the mountain, we can't receive the
signal from England.

Janet Baraclough writes
I think you misunderstood. Signals are relayed to many transmitters
from different regional broadcasts. Usually, your TV roof ariel is
directed to the transmitter that supplies the strongest signal to that
area. However, there may be other, fainter signals available from other
transmitters, which can be picked up in addition with minimal equipment.
At our last house in a limited-reception area, my husband fitted two
ariels collecting signal from two different transmitters to one TV,
giving us the full normal choice of channels. Our next door neighbour
couldn't do the same. Reception ranges can vary considerably within a
matter of yards, depending on topography.

. The BBC has a technical advice department devoted to helping solve
such problems, it's a free service.

I have two aerials in my loft, each pointing at a different transmitter,
and as a result I have one TV in the kitchen that receives one region
and the other in the lounge that receives another - so it is possible,
depending on reception. If the signal is week you can get more elaborate
aerials, but find someone who really knows about them.
--
David
Old 04-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Dave

The message
from Dave contains these words:

I have two aerials in my loft, each pointing at a different transmitter,
and as a result I have one TV in the kitchen that receives one region
and the other in the lounge that receives another - so it is possible,
depending on reception. If the signal is week you can get more elaborate
aerials, but find someone who really knows about them.

Janet Baraclough writes
John fitted our two ariels into a multiplexer and an amplifier, if
you do that you can watch both regions in both rooms. Then the challenge
is finding anything worth watching on any of them, that hasn't been
repeated several times already.

Ah. There are technical reasons why I can't do that easily - one end of
the loft is above the single story kitchen and t'other is above the two-
story snug, and there is no easy link between the two. And I distribute
the Anglian stuff to several TV's though an amplifier. I suppose I could
get one which would distribute 2 feeds.... but then I might as well go
the whole hog and try and do freeview. The other 'technical' reason is
its quite useful to encourage my 2 teenage sons to watch London programs
elsewhere :-))
--
David
Old 05-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
[...]

Hi CK,

The version of BBC2 Wales we now get has only been broadcast of recent years. We used to be able to get a more English version, and I had to go looking for this myself sometime ago. Instead of using the Freeview, have you tried tuning a spare TV channel to BBC2? I'm sure you have already tried this and i don't wish to teach my granny to suck eggs, but i really had to look hard for my BBC2.

Best of luck,
Cassi.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Janet Tweedy

CK Wrote:

I really don't understand why they cannot have Scrum
in

either BBC 2W or BBC Two Wales but not both, so I can still watch 'A
year of

Kew', 'How to be a gardener' which will not be shown if there is Scrum,
or

'Gardener's World' on Friday night.

With regards,
CK from Aberystwyth

Do you not know anyone who can tape the programmes for you and send them
to you on video tapes? One tape will hold several programmes.

If you are desperate I'll try and tape as many as I can, (I think they
are also on UK gardening channel so I might be able to pick up some old
ones for you)

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 06-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Ceri Davies

On 2005-05-06, Janet Tweedy wrote:
CK Wrote:

I really don't understand why they cannot have Scrum
in
either BBC 2W or BBC Two Wales but not both, so I can still watch 'A
year of
Kew', 'How to be a gardener' which will not be shown if there is Scrum,
or
'Gardener's World' on Friday night.

With regards,
CK from Aberystwyth

Do you not know anyone who can tape the programmes for you and send them
to you on video tapes? One tape will hold several programmes.

If you are desperate I'll try and tape as many as I can, (I think they
are also on UK gardening channel so I might be able to pick up some old
ones for you)

I believe that the OP said that they could watch it on Sunday anyway, so
unless you courier it over then that's probably not much of a win.

Ceri
not sure about the former. -- Einstein (attrib.)