Old 03-02-2003, 10:35 PM
eddy

Default Plant with a invasive root ?

i am looking for something easy like spirea anthony waterer
that spreads all over the place .
any ideas on this one?
not too high .

Old 04-02-2003, 12:38 AM
Emrys Davies

'eddy',

Spiraea Gold Flame is a must. Make sure you prune it hard in early
March and it will give you much joy if you like a rich colour from
foliage over quite a long period followed by an abundance of reddish
flowers.

http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/plantl.../sp_malda.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:05 PM
snafu steve

"Bevan Price" wrote in message

"eddy" wrote in message
i am looking for something easy like spirea anthony waterer
that spreads all over the place .
any ideas on this one?
not too high .

Lamium maculatum - dead nettle - arrived uninvited in my garden. Low
growing, pink to purple flowers, moderately attractive so I let it stay.

Big
mistake, within 2 years it was trying to take over the entire front

garden,
smothering nearly everything else, roots spreading everywhere. Still

picking
out new growth something like 10 years later. So, it will do what you

want,
but you will probably NEVER get rid of it completely if you change your

mind
next year.

Bevan

About 10 years ago our neighbour planted periwinkle, not sure what variety,
the common variegated one. We're still trying to get it to stay their side
of the fence. And when we moved to our current house there was a sumach
tree on the boundary between us. They couldn't remember who planted it or
whose garden it was supposed to be in, it was half and half so we jointly
decided to get rid of it as it was blocking the light and was much too big
for the situation. Three years of chopping off the suckers later, it went
for the easy life, under the footpath and surfaced in the communal grassed
area. It doesn't seem to have liked the football games/bike races etc.
Haven't seen it for a while now, fingers crossed.

Steve