Old 03-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Sacha

On 3/5/05 10:03, in article ,
"martin" wrote:

On Tue, 03 May 2005 09:38:39 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 2/5/05 23:38, in article
, "Klara"
wrote:

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
Lovely weekend here, a few spots of rain but not enough to even wet the
patio during the day though it must have rained last night, blazing
sunshine for most of the time. I can feel I've burnt my head out on the
allotments today.

Yes, beautiful - real summer for the whole day...

And Americans wonder why we don't 'do' zones! It's grey and
rain-threatening here again today and I'm looking up flight
schedules.....;-)

Foggy, thundery, raining and cold here.

Have you tried Cheapo?
http://www.cheap0.com/total.php

That sort of 'froze' without completely downloading but from what I could
see, there are no flights from Exeter. ;-) In reality, we can go away
until September, when we're hoping to have a week or two in Italy. Apart
from that, we might be able to grab 3 or 4 days in Jersey with my son and
daughter in law who have just moved back there. Their rather large garden
needs some sorting out to bring it up to date and as my son's knowledge of
plants is pretty much "that's a dandelion and I think that's a daffodil",
we're going to be drafted in! He inherited the house from his grandparents
who were passionate gardeners but his grandmother, who was pre-deceased by
her husband, tried to keep the garden as he had known it when he died in
1998. It is still a remarkably lovely garden but it is also an illustration
of how quickly a garden can stagnate or even go backwards in terms of the
dying off of old plants which aren't replaced etc. or clinging on to things
which are past their prime, just for sentiment's sake.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Dave

Sacha writes
I wonder how the rest of you are faring this w/e? We have had some very
mixed weather but none of that blazing heat we were promised - dull, cloudy,
some rain and to cap it all, it is *pouring* with rain this morning - and on
what should be one of the nurseryman's busiest days of the year!

Hard luck! There I was waiting for the promised rain, but all I got was
a little bit of cloud. I have not worked so long and hard or so
successfully in the garden for ages, from Fri evening through to late
Monday - it was mostly very sunny and often hot and humid. So late
afternoon I stood on my newly mown lawn and admired the shrubs and trees
with their new leaves and their newly cut circles of earth filled with
special soil from the floor of the old barn, and listened to the rushing
sound of my waterfall which I started up yesterday after some 2.5 years
of neglect. I was so amazed and thrilled it went on straight away, it
was wonderful.

A couple of new friends arrived and we sat out in the sunken rock garden
and had tea. And my youngest son, 15, managed to catch a newt in his
hands, I thought we had none but he'd seen lots - including the small
lighter coloured youngsters apparently. What amazing feet and toes and
the way they move! I went back after dark just to listen to the water,
and look out for more newts - but no luck.*

I could do with some of your rain though, I think we have had it very
dry here since last Autumn, but I do envy you your generally warmer
climate!!

* Blow me if he hasn't just caught another one just now, and we looked
underneath and it has the most amazing vivid yellow and orange belly
with black spots - I'd never have thought of doing this had it not been
for the urg thread recently. I grabbed a couple of digi photos too.
--
David
On the first of the Chilterns looking NE to Cambridge
Old 03-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Sacha

On 3/5/05 10:56, in article ,
"martin" wrote:

On Tue, 03 May 2005 10:46:06 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Have you tried Cheapo?
http://www.cheap0.com/total.php

That sort of 'froze' without completely downloading but from what I could
see, there are no flights from Exeter. ;-) In reality, we can go away

snip
Sigh - senior typing moment - We *can't* go away........ Is what I should
have said!

You could always try another airport? :-)

Oh we *could* but our preference is for Exeter - 30 minutes from home.
Perfick!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Mike

You could always try another airport? :-)

Oh we *could* but our preference is for Exeter - 30 minutes from home.
Perfick!
--
Sacha

That is why we are cruising out of Southampton next January. Taxi to Cowes,
Fast Catamaran to Southampton, Taxi to the ship. Under 2 hours from home to
ship :-))

Same when we return to Southampton 3 months later :-))

AND unlimited luggage :-))

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

Old 03-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Mike

No internet access too?

There is a cyba cafe on board, but I will be taking a laptop with satalite
access my emails and to the internet.

Imagine being cooped up in a super P&O ferry from Southampton to
Southampton for 3 months. 12 hours from R'dam to Hull is enough to
last a life time. :-)

;-( not quite the same. The entertainment, food, excursions, views,
thoughts, company, sights, sounds etc are just not the same. AND it comes
cheaper by 'Buying in bulk' ;-))

But then you were tongue in cheek ;-}}

Mike

Old 03-05-2005, 02:38 PM