Old 04-02-2003, 02:49 AM
Bart

Default Manure and Fertiliser

I dug in loads of horse manure last spring, to condition and fertilise a new
shrub/flower border.

I didn't use any other fertiliser because I thought the manure would do the
job. I've just read, though, that manure is not actually a fertiliser, it
is only a soil conditioner. Is that correct? I always though manure was a
fertiliser.

If manure *is* a fertiliser, then can I use a fertiliser as normal this
year?

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2003, 10:12 AM
Bart

Thanks for your reply, Alan. How long will the manure last vefore I need to
fertilise again. I put the manure down one year ago.

Thanks.

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Bart
writes
I dug in loads of horse manure last spring, to condition and fertilise a

new
shrub/flower border.

I didn't use any other fertiliser because I thought the manure would do

the
job. I've just read, though, that manure is not actually a fertiliser,

it
is only a soil conditioner. Is that correct? I always though manure was

fertiliser.

If manure *is* a fertiliser, then can I use a fertiliser as normal this
year?

Well matured horse manure is one of the finest treats you can give to
your soil. It contains plenty of plant nutrients which are natural
organic fertilisers and it has lots of fibrous roughage in it which will
improve soil condition. I usually apply it before Xmas, but a good mulch
any time during winter will weather it in by spring. The surface will
then be ready to be cleared and lightly cultivated prior to use. If that
is done, no further fertilisers will be needed for normal recreational
gardening purposes including vegetable production.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 05-02-2003, 09:28 AM
Nick Apostolakis

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:38:31 +0200, Rodger Whitlock wrote:

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 01:49:50 -0000, "Bart" wrote:

Manure usually contains nitrogen, and may contain other nutrients, so it
can act as a fertilizer, but perhaps not a very concentrated one. One
trouble is that you can't be sure just how much of what you've applied.
The real benefit of manure is more likely to lie in the stimulus it
gives to the various critters that live in soil. A healthy soil is a
living soil full of bacteria, fungi, and small creepy-crawlies of many
sorts.

that is correct. what happens is that the nitrogen is in organic form and
it needs some time to get in nonorganic form with the help of bacterials.
the whole procedure is slow so you cannot expect much on that field from
manure.
what you gain is that manure improves soil structure, the soil maximum
water capacity, the soil ability of exchanging ions (fertility) etc
also the manure if not correct matures may cause more harm than good.

But if your garden soil is depleted of nutrients, there's nothing like a
bag of all-purpose granular fertilizer (dreadul chemical, non-organic
stuff) to get things moving. Roots are not all perennial, and simply
encouraging plant growth via fertilizer leads to organic matter being
formed in the soil, up to a point, and consequently a more biologically
active soil.

correct again
Old 05-02-2003, 10:24 AM
Victoria Clare

(Rodger Whitlock) wrote in
:

Subject: Manure and Fertiliser
From: (Rodger Whitlock)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I dug in loads of horse manure last spring, to condition and
fertilise a new shrub/flower border.

I didn't use any other fertiliser because I thought the manure would
do the job. I've just read, though, that manure is not actually a
fertiliser, it is only a soil conditioner. Is that correct? I
always though manure was a fertiliser.

If manure *is* a fertiliser, then can I use a fertiliser as normal
this year?

Manure usually contains nitrogen, and may contain other
nutrients, so it can act as a fertilizer, but perhaps not a very
concentrated one. One trouble is that you can't be sure just how
much of what you've applied. The real benefit of manure is more
likely to lie in the stimulus it gives to the various critters
that live in soil. A healthy soil is a living soil full of
bacteria, fungi, and small creepy-crawlies of many sorts.

I dunno if the manure I have used was extra-strong, or if I put on too
much, or what, but on one memorable occasion I dug over a bed, manured,
since it seemed to be solid clay, then planted runner beans and, as I
was very strapped for space, put some annual seeds round the bottom.
The beans shot up so far and fast that the slugs ignored them, and then
climbed all the way along my hedge and fence. I was sick of beans that
year!

The annuals fought a dirty and bloody war for space: the lobelia won,
as I recall, and tromped all the other seedlings into slimy goo for lack
of light. Things went back to (relative) normal next year.

I think the type of soil you are on makes a big difference. My Cheshire
clay responded eagerly to manuring, and seemed to hold the nutrients
well for a couple of years. Down here in arsenic-rich gravelly Cornwall,
I seem to be endlessly feeding and mulching, and the stuff just washes
away. (it is *so* much easier to dig and weed though.)

Victoria Clare

Old 10-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Katharine Mill

Alan Gould wrote in message ...

Well matured horse manure is one of the finest treats you can give to
your soil.

Can you give a hint as to when it is 'well matured', please? I was
thinking of getting a carload from the local stables this weekend, but
what they have looks very strawy and I was worried about putting it
direct on the soil. Should I put it bit by bit in the compost bin or
let it rot down in its own pile instead? If so, for how long? Can I
use a bit on the garden already? (ps I have a really small garden and
not much manure storage options)
TIA

Old 10-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Katharine
Mill writes
Alan Gould wrote in message
golincs.demon.co.uk...

Well matured horse manure is one of the finest treats you can give to
your soil.

Can you give a hint as to when it is 'well matured', please? I was
thinking of getting a carload from the local stables this weekend, but
what they have looks very strawy and I was worried about putting it
direct on the soil. Should I put it bit by bit in the compost bin or
let it rot down in its own pile instead? If so, for how long? Can I
use a bit on the garden already? (ps I have a really small garden and
not much manure storage options)
TIA

IMHO some straw in stable or farmyard manure is not a problem if you are
anxious to apply some in time for this coming spring. Try to keep any
fresh parts clear of young plants. That said, it is much better if you
can make a compost heap of it and allow it to heat up then cool down
before applying it next autumn. It is properly ready to use when it has
become nearly black and it is sweet smelling and moist but friable to
the touch.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Jack

If you do put it down before it has matured properly, what damage will it
cause?

Thanks.

horse manure is one of the

Old 11-02-2003, 07:19 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Jack
writes
If you do put it down before it has matured properly, what damage will it
cause?

Because I have plentiful and regular supplies of stable manure, I spread
all of my vacant veg. growing areas with a thick mulch of it fresh,
strawy and steaming last October/November. I did not put any of it near
to plants which are over-wintering because it would tend to be too
strong and because it is not suitable as a direct plant food. That mulch
has now practically all worked its way into the soil, frost has broken
it up and birds have had a great time snatching insects and young weed
seedlings from it. The treated areas are now almost ready to be lightly
worked over and spring seeded or planted. I also have a compost box full
of the same stable manure which has fully matured and is ready to be
applied to areas which need to be replenished with nutrients after
cropping, or are in fallow, but not where roots are next to be sown.
I keep that heap covered with a plastic sheet against rain and to
encourage it to continue composting until I use it.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:37 AM
david

......"but what they have looks very strawy ..."

Round here most people seem to be using sawdust instead of straw.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries