Old 03-05-2005, 02:18 PM

Default fluffy tree: can you identify?

My sister asked me what was the name of the tree that makes a lot of
fluff. I said "That will be the 'fluffy tree'" and then I said that
some types of poplar do this.

In a letter she wrote that she had found out what the fluffy tree was,
and it is the aspen. I did a bit of research on the web and the aspen -
being a type of poplar - might produce some fluff, but it is the black
poplar (and only the female) that produces lots of it.

However, a couple of days ago I was walking along a road and there was
a lot of fluff blowing along. I traced it to its source. It was a tree
that did not look like a poplar. The leaves did not look like poplar
leaves and its general shape was not that of the poplar. It had catkins
hanging down from which fluff came. The tree looked more like an apple
than anything else but could not have been.

Please can you identify this tree. My sister regards me as an authority
on plants and I want to maintain the illusion.

Andy.

Old 03-05-2005, 06:19 PM
andrewpreece

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Are you sure your 'fluffy tree' isn't just a tree that has had 'Old Man's
Beard'
( native clematis )growing all over it and now is covered in seedheads?

Andy.

Pink fluffy flower john smile United Kingdom 14 13-07-2011 08:24 AM
Fluffy algae Grub Ponds (moderated) 2 26-05-2011 05:14 PM
Sweetcorn and the Fluffy Bits John Vanini United Kingdom 28 03-09-2007 05:31 PM
Fluffy Grapefruit Geoff & Heather Australia 8 17-08-2007 12:04 PM
My Honeysuckle Vine Is Developing A Strange White Fluffy Coating jim evans Gardening 3 23-05-2004 03:03 PM