GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hardy annuals and biennials (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9346-hardy-annuals-biennials.html)

Martin Sykes 05-02-2003 03:40 PM

Hardy annuals and biennials

If a hardy annual or biennial doesn't die off naturally after flowering then
is there any good reason why I should dig it up instead of leaving it in
place to flower next year?

Martin

JennyC 05-02-2003 05:03 PM

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
If a hardy annual or biennial doesn't die off naturally after

flowering then
is there any good reason why I should dig it up instead of leaving

it in
place to flower next year?

Martin

No - Some things may surprise you and survive :~)
Jenny

Kay Easton 05-02-2003 06:25 PM

Hardy annuals and biennials

In article , Martin Sykes
writes
If a hardy annual or biennial doesn't die off naturally after flowering then
is there any good reason why I should dig it up instead of leaving it in
place to flower next year?

If it's an annual in the botanical sense (rather than the gardening
sense) it will die after setting seed anyway.

If it's an annual in the gardening sense, which includes perennials that
don't make it through the winter, then there's no reason why you should
dig it up other than the aesthetic one that sometimes plants get a bit
leggy and untidy in their second season.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/