Old 03-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Mike

Default Example of species and genus please

Hi

I am doing some course work and I am not sure of the use of species and
genus.

For example ..... Yarrow, Milfoil
Achillea millefolium
Asteraceae (Compositae)

Which is the species and which is the genus.

thanks

Mike

Pullout "stop" to reply by email
Old 03-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike wrote:

I am doing some course work and I am not sure of the use of species and
genus.

For example ..... Yarrow, Milfoil
Achillea millefolium
Asteraceae (Compositae)

Which is the species and which is the genus.

Achillea - genus
millefolium - species qualifier
Achillea millefolium - full name (precise species)
Asteraceae (Compositae) - family

You can find this on the net, but I agree that it is tricky until
you can tell the hogwash from the information. But don't use this group
as a free information source for coursework, or you may irritate
people.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.