Old 08-05-2005, 11:44 AM
John Edgar

Your dictionary is not correct. The reason I know this is because my ex

husband was a psychopath and had to have regular visits from the CPN.
He
explained that being psychopathic was nothing to do with being violent
or
displaying violent tendencies.It is a lack of an abillity to empathis
with
another's point of view or to feel any guilt or regret if they have
caused
pain or sufferring to another.

The Concise Oxford Dictionary, 1999 edition, is incorrect? I think not.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:45 AM
John Edgar

Whilst many people accept the necessity of pest control, that doesn't
mean
they would condone wanton cruelty to the 'pest'. Would you think it OK
kill squirrels by roasting them alive over a slow fire, for example?

Why not?

Old 08-05-2005, 11:48 AM
John Edgar

ITY are a troll. Either that or you are clinically a phychopath, unable
imagine anything from another perspective and have no concept of
another's
suffering.

Yes I do. I don't want humans to suffer, nor pussy cats nor dogs nor
horses not red squirrels nor bumble bees, and so on. Vermin are
different.
John

Old 08-05-2005, 11:51 AM
John Edgar

Do you believe it is impossible to be inhumane to any non-human animal?
If
so, how would you define 'humane'?

The treatment of humans in as respectful a manner as possible: animals
on an ad hoc basis.
John

Old 08-05-2005, 11:53 AM
John Edgar

In fact I
think some humans are the only creatures that I could delight in
killing
slowly :-))

So you are just as bad, if not worse, than I am. At least I
differentiate between human animals and animal animals.
John

Old 08-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:
"pammyT" wrote in message

"John Edgar" wrote in message
oups.com...
How can it be inhumane? We are not dealing with humans, but animals and
vermin at that.

ITY are a troll. Either that or you are clinically a phychopath, unable to
imagine anything from another perspective and have no concept of another's
suffering.

No he is not a troll, it is quite possible you are, who else would
make such
a fuss about killing vermin.

Most people, I'd guess, as well as HM Governments of various flavours
over the years.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-05-2005, 06:16 PM
BAC

"John Edgar" wrote in message
ups.com...
Your dictionary is not correct. The reason I know this is because my ex

husband was a psychopath and had to have regular visits from the CPN.
He
explained that being psychopathic was nothing to do with being violent
or
displaying violent tendencies.It is a lack of an abillity to empathis
with
another's point of view or to feel any guilt or regret if they have
caused
pain or sufferring to another.

The Concise Oxford Dictionary, 1999 edition, is incorrect? I think not.

But did you quote its entry for 'psychopath' both fully and correctly?

My OED has the following,

"psychopath n.
1a person suffering from chronic mental disorder esp. with abnormal or
violent social behaviour.
2a mentally or emotionally unstable person."

IIRC you omitted the 'esp.' (presumably 'especially')from 1a and didn't
mention 2a at all.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:28 PM
BAC

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"John Edgar" wrote in message
ups.com...
In what way is it illegal to kill vermin by drowning them? One of the
best ways I would have thought. I believe it is illegal to drown
humans, but grey squirrels?

It was technically made illegal by virtue of the Wild Mammals Protection
Act
1996 which included drowning amongst the list of abuses outlawed from

30th
April 1997. I don't know whether the RSPCA has actually brought charges
against anyone for drowning a wild mammal, though, or if they have,
whether
the perpetrator was convicted.

It is the method recomended by the Forestry Commistion for the disposal of
this type of vermin.

Is it? Do you have a reference for that? Did you perhaps receive that advice
prior to April 1997?

Old 08-05-2005, 06:32 PM
BAC

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"John Edgar" wrote in message
oups.com...
How would they find out? Another unworkable law like the law making use
of mobiles while driving illegal. Who cares about abuse of vermin like
grey squirrels anyway?

How would who find out what?

Whilst many people accept the necessity of pest control, that doesn't

mean
they would condone wanton cruelty to the 'pest'. Would you think it OK

kill squirrels by roasting them alive over a slow fire, for example?

Would you consider a time of 10 seconds, or less, to death, cruelty?

Depends whether or not the '10 seconds' is filled with agony and suffering.
If the animal is shot through the head, it would usually be stunned
instantly. Drowning, IMO, is cruel in comparison.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:40 PM
BAC

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news

snip

I am sorry but the thought of any creature struggling to breath for
several
minutes while underwater turns my stomach.

You have absolutely no idea of the prcedure for disposing of vermin, when
I had to start dealing with these pests, I was concerned about the effect
it was having, so I timed it, it generaly takes less that ten seconds.

This is nothing compared with the suffering this vermin makes when it

raids
birds nests.

So, you drown squirrels to avenge fledglings?

Old 08-05-2005, 06:45 PM
BAC

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"John Edgar" wrote in message
oups.com...
Are squirrels even aware that they are being systematically destroyed?
I think not so who cares?

What on earth makes you think that grey squirrels are being destroyed, for
every one which I kill there are at least ten waiting to take it's place.

Now if you were referring to red squirrels I have to agree that they have
been all but destroyed, which is why we kave a need to reduce the grey
squirrel population, preferrably to nil.

Alan the Avenger strikes again!

Old 08-05-2005, 06:50 PM
BAC

"pammyT" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
Drowning is very quick,

how the hell do you figure that out? Drowning is slow and bloody cruel

and
possibly illegal as a method of killling the thing.

it would be dangerous to attempt to get them into a
sack,
as that would require opening the cage, which, if you have ever seen

one
close up,
you would not wish to get that close to.

Ya big wimp. I have been close up to them, in Canada where I fed them

from
my hand every morning, and over here where a rescue sanctuary had one in

large aviary.

Do you also feed the other type of rat, the ones without the furry tails?

Both squirrels and rats are rodents, so in that sense they are related.
However, the belief that some people have about greys being more closely
related to rats than red squirrels is untrue. Both reds and greys belong to
the Aplodontidae family while rats belong to the Muridae (mouse) family. The
name "tree rat" has arisen because in some people's minds they cause a
nuisance comparable to that of rats. Squirrels do not carry the potentially
dangerous diseases that rats may.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:59 PM
BAC

"John Edgar" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whilst many people accept the necessity of pest control, that doesn't
mean
they would condone wanton cruelty to the 'pest'. Would you think it OK
kill squirrels by roasting them alive over a slow fire, for example?

Why not?

Most people would not, because to do so would be cruel and inhumane. The
purpose of pest control is to protect whatever 'crop' is threatened by the
pest, not to gain a perverse delight from inflicting uneccessary suffering
on the creature.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:04 PM
BAC

"John Edgar" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you believe it is impossible to be inhumane to any non-human animal?
If
so, how would you define 'humane'?

The treatment of humans in as respectful a manner as possible: animals
on an ad hoc basis.

Interesting - you quote from the OED to define psychopath, but not 'humane',
why is that?

Old 08-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message . com
from "John Edgar" contains these words:

Are you sure you missed the point? Are you really *that* dim?
The objection here is not necessarily the killing or this species of
animal,
but the methods used to kill. Any rational, normal human being, would
want
to kill quickly, and painlessly whereas you seem to want to cause the
most
suffeerring and seem not to feel any compassion at all for a creature
you
seem to fear or hate. This is simply not rational.

The point I am making is that the methods used to kill vermin are
unimportant. They are vermin, hence any death is better for us than
that they live. Get rid of them and good riddance. If they suffer, they
suffer. They make me suffer.

You're talking to yourself. Once again you've managed to omit the
attribution and to leave out the text to which you are replying.