Old 08-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message . com
from "John Edgar" contains these words:

Yes - doesn't your ISP have a newsfeed? Then you can use a proper
newsreader, such as Thunderbird (with Firefox), Opera News, Netscape
Communicator, I think Agent does news as well as mail, oh, lots of
decent programs are available.

Now you seem to have quoted me, but with no attribution nor any
attribution chevrons, so it's unlikely that anyone will *KNOW* you're
quoting.

The bit above this should appear thus:

Yes - doesn't your ISP have a newsfeed? Then you can use a proper
newsreader, such as Thunderbird (with Firefox), Opera News, Netscape
Communicator, I think Agent does news as well as mail, oh, lots of
decent programs are available.

And in the one I'm replying to, should have had a single row of chevrons
as below. Each requote adds another row, so you can follow the thread.

I was using Agent to access the news service in Germany - I forget its
name, but they started charging.

Individual.net? Their government funding stopped, and they're not a charity.

I have a basic BB ISP that does not
provide usenet service hence the use of Google groups. I am now using
copy and paste and hope it works

Not really, though I have seen Google groups' messages conforming, so I
believe it can be done. I believe there's a good newsfeed from Poland,
and it's free.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message . com
from "John Edgar" contains these words:

The Concise Oxford Dictionary, 1999 edition, is incorrect? I think not.

The Concise Oxford is, IMO, frequently wrong, and differs markedly from
(for instance) Chambers, Collins, Thorndyke and others.

For preference, I use Chambers. I *HAVE* got the Oxford, but it is my
dictionary of last resort.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

Squirrels do not carry the potentially
dangerous diseases that rats may.

'Fraid they do, sometimes.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message . com
from "John Edgar" contains these

words:
[...]
I have a basic BB ISP that does not
provide usenet service hence the use of Google groups. I am now

using
copy and paste and hope it works

Not really, though I have seen Google groups' messages conforming,

so
I believe it can be done. I believe there's a good newsfeed from
Poland,
and it's free.

On Gg, all you have to do is click Show options, then the Reply
at bottom left of the header. It then lets you quote and edit like a
newsreader.

--
Mike.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Chris Bacon

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
(dispatching trapped squirrels)
A decent air rifle is more than adequate, and needs no licence. An air
pistol is sufficient for dispatching them in traps.

Hm, I'm not sure that this would necessarily be quick, or safe. They
tend to dash about in the cage (*understatement*), so an instantly
fatal shot is very difficult, which might lead to some suffering -
there's the question of ricochets as well.

Perhaps this out to go in a reference document, like the c4t5 one.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:58 AM
John Edgar

Couldn't be bothered to look it up.
John

Old 09-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Chris Bacon writes:
| Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
| (dispatching trapped squirrels)
| A decent air rifle is more than adequate, and needs no licence. An air
| pistol is sufficient for dispatching them in traps.
|
| Hm, I'm not sure that this would necessarily be quick, or safe. They
| tend to dash about in the cage (*understatement*), so an instantly
| fatal shot is very difficult, which might lead to some suffering -
| there's the question of ricochets as well.

The former is a real problem, but the latter is not. Even if an
air rifle pellet hits a large flint, the ricochet is minor. A
hollow lead pellet deforms and loses most of its energy even
against an infinitely hard surface.

| Perhaps this out to go in a reference document, like the c4t5 one.

Eh?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Chris Bacon

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Chris Bacon writes:
| Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
| (dispatching trapped squirrels)
| A decent air rifle is more than adequate, and needs no licence. An air
| pistol is sufficient for dispatching them in traps.
|
| Hm, I'm not sure that this would necessarily be quick, or safe. They
| tend to dash about in the cage (*understatement*), so an instantly
| fatal shot is very difficult, which might lead to some suffering -
| there's the question of ricochets as well.

The former is a real problem, but the latter is not. Even if an
air rifle pellet hits a large flint, the ricochet is minor. A
hollow lead pellet deforms and loses most of its energy even
against an infinitely hard surface.

Erm, yeah. Right.

| Perhaps this out to go in a reference document, like the c4t5 one.

Eh?

Shhhh....... re-arrange the following letters to find a well-known
pet: A C S T ( darfc ).
Old 09-05-2005, 01:31 PM
BAC

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

Squirrels do not carry the potentially
dangerous diseases that rats may.

'Fraid they do, sometimes.

The main disease they are said to spread is the one which has been ridding
us of red squirrels - unfortunately the greys survive the disease and then
transmit it to any reds they encounter, causing a high mortality amongst the
reds. I don't recall hearing anything about squirrels posing a significant
public health risk to humans, though, unlike rats. Some Council
Environmental Health Departments seem to be of that opinion, e.g.
http://www.havant.gov.uk/havant-2723&menupage=8

from which "The squirrel is not a pest of public health significance; in so
far that it is not a particular vector of disease."

Old 09-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 06 May 2005 21:06:36 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:

One problem here is that you need a gun licence to shoot the things,

For an air pistol? Even a small one is plenty powerful enough from 6".
Pin the little bar steward down with a stick through the cage bars to
stop it leaping about and blat...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 09-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

(dispatching trapped squirrels)
A decent air rifle is more than adequate, and needs no licence. An air
pistol is sufficient for dispatching them in traps.

Hm, I'm not sure that this would necessarily be quick, or safe. They
tend to dash about in the cage (*understatement*), so an instantly
fatal shot is very difficult, which might lead to some suffering -
there's the question of ricochets as well.

Perhaps this out to go in a reference document, like the c4t5 one.

Depends how good a shot you are, and the distance you are shooting from.

We don't bother to trap squirrels, but shoot them in the plantations.

Old 09-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

[...]

My information is that any rodent can carry Weil's disease.

Old 09-05-2005, 04:21 PM
bigboard

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

(dispatching trapped squirrels)
A decent air rifle is more than adequate, and needs no licence. An air
pistol is sufficient for dispatching them in traps.

Hm, I'm not sure that this would necessarily be quick, or safe. They
tend to dash about in the cage (*understatement*), so an instantly
fatal shot is very difficult, which might lead to some suffering -
there's the question of ricochets as well.

Perhaps this out to go in a reference document, like the c4t5 one.

Depends how good a shot you are, and the distance you are shooting from.

We don't bother to trap squirrels, but shoot them in the plantations.

Oooh, painful. A head shot is quicker.
--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
-- E. Rutherford

Old 09-05-2005, 04:49 PM
BAC

[...]

See

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000444/

This seems to imply that whilst any mammal may be infected by the
Leptospirosis spirochaete, the variety causing Weills Disease 'prefers'
rats. I've done a quick 'Google' linking squirrels with Weills, and not come
up with any warnings.

Given that the disease organism doesn't live long in the dry, if a squirrel
were to be infected, it would only be likely to pass the disease on to a
human if it urinated in water which was subsequently ingested by a human,
either orally or via a skin abrasion. So, people who drown squirrels could
be putting themselves at risk of infection :-)

Old 09-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

My information is that any rodent can carry Weil's disease.

See

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000444/

This seems to imply that whilst any mammal may be infected by the
Leptospirosis spirochaete, the variety causing Weills Disease 'prefers'
rats. I've done a quick 'Google' linking squirrels with Weills, and not come
up with any warnings.

Indeed: rats are far more likely to carry it because of their lifestyle.

Given that the disease organism doesn't live long in the dry, if a squirrel
were to be infected, it would only be likely to pass the disease on to a
human if it urinated in water which was subsequently ingested by a human,
either orally or via a skin abrasion.

I'm always very careful when skinning them...

So, people who drown squirrels could
be putting themselves at risk of infection :-)

Well, there's that blessin^H^H^H^risk...